|Location||Addis Ababa with frequent travel to, Adda’a Woreda, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 31, 2020|
|Category|| Construction |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Duty: Individual Consultant – Supervision and overseeing construction/rehabilitation of O-Classes and Outdoor Play Materials Installation in Primary Schools of Adda’a Woreda, Bishoftu
Duration: 4 months
Term of Employment: Short Term
Required Number: one
Established in 20 years ago, Right To Play (RTP) is an international humanitarian organization that uses the transformative power of sport and play to educate, empower and protect children and youth in the most disadvantaged areas of the world. RTP projects focus on building peaceful coexistence, improving quality education and transforming healthy practices. RTP works in formal and informal educational environments, in collaboration with community, national and regional partners, in an effort to improve school readiness, teaching practices and academic achievement of children.
Since 2005, RTP has been working in Ethiopia both in humanitarian and development settings. Currently, RTP is looking to hire an individual consultant who can oversee procurement and installation of equipment as well as O-classroom constructions and outdoor play materials installation works in Target schools in Adda Wereda, East Showa Zone, Oromia Regional State. In consultation with RTP’s team, the incumbent is expected to support the organization’s projects in Adda’a Woreda.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
Scope of the Service:
- Based on expression of needs received from beneficiary schools, assess feasibility of proposed infrastructures/equipment by analyzing technology and skills available, local market and resources needed.
- Recommend and design appropriate infrastructures and equipment for the construction and/or rehabilitation of 4 “O” class, classrooms, installation of outdoor play materials in 5 schools by considering existing physical setting of beneficiary schools as well as inclusion of children with disability and gender.
- Ensure proposed infrastructures and equipment complies with agreed standards.
- Consult with key stakeholders to jointly plan proposed infrastructures and equipment and to identify beneficiary schools and construction sites in each school.
- Prepare draft purchase requisitions and concept notes for the project managers review
- Support procurement of infrastructures and equipment by preparing request for quotations / proposals, bid analysis and evaluating technical competency of suppliers.
- Prepare complete construction drawings and bill of quantities for the proposed new constructions and maintenance works as well as equipment
- With the support of RTP’s legal adviser, draft contracts including all appendices and drawings based on standard forms
- Monitor implementation of proposed works, ”O” Class, classroom constructions and Outdoor Play Materials Installation and identify and help rectify bottlenecks to implementation in order to ensure timely completion.
- Track cost, monitor variation orders, extra works etc. and inform RTP in advance if any extra works are expected to incur additional costs.
- Follow-up ongoing construction activities and ensure suppliers adhere to completion of contractual commitment as per stipulated quality, time and cost.
- Monitor construction works and ensure all construction works and installations are completed within allocated budget and time.
- Check measurements and verify payments requested and submitted by suppliers
- Evaluate claims, change request and price adjustments submitted by suppliers for RTP’s approval
- Conduct necessary onsite inspection of materials delivered to construction sites, also assess equipment and manpower deployed and check their compliance with the specification and standards stipulated in the contracts.
- Draft provisional acceptance certificates for suppliers and facilitate handover of completed infrastructures and equipment for beneficiary schools
- Develop ToR for contractor bidding, perform analysis and select competitive contractor with RTP Procurement team.
- Field visit report of the work he is assigned with recommendations
- Draft concept notes and purchase requisition for each activity where he is apportioned.
- Request for Quotations including all drawings and bill of quantities for proposed interventions
- Bid analysis and technical evaluation reports on supplier’s competencies
- Monthly reports describing activities accomplished, estimated completion dates and expenditures for each infrastructure.
- Completion report of the work she/he is appointed to work.
- Four (4) months commencing September 15, 2020. Nevertheless, the consultant is expected to complete the tasks he/she is vested in under the scope section above.
- Payment will be based on an agreement signed between the consultant and RTP.
- 30% withholding tax will be deducted if the incumbent does have a business license
- The consultant will be based in Addis Ababa with frequent travel to beneficiary school in Ada’a Wereda near to Bishoftu town.
- Bsc Degree in Architecture or Civil Engineering with advanced degree in development studies or related field
- Six(6) years of general experience of which a minimum of Two Years (2) relevant experience in international NGO as individual consultant and has a proven record for completing similar assignments
- An experience in development and humanitarian setting in Ethiopia is an advantage.
- Knowledge of education sector and standards related to school infrastructure and equipment.
- Previous experience(s) in child centered organization working in Education is a plus.
- Proven record of designing and supervising school infrastructure constructions and equipment installations
- Knowledge of child protection is desirable.
- Affinity with RTPs mission and its values
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Self-starter with ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical skill and willing to support and empower others
- Ability to establish productive working relationship with RTP’s staff and externally with partners and suppliers
- Proactive, Team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity
- Advanced user Ms Excel, Ms outlook Ms-Word
- Excellent Command of AutoCAD and other related software
- Ability design infrastructures such as reading centers, Classrooms, latrines, outdoor play materials etc
- Interested applicant should follow the following instructions.
- Compile your application ,i.e a resume or CV (with no more than 3 pages) and a cover letter, in a single PDF and mail it to ethiopiaHR@righhtoplay.com
- Use your full name and the position you applied as a file name for the compiled PDF
- Your cover letter shall state your expectation of a monthly remuneration (including all taxes)
- While we thank all applicants for their interest. Right To Play is a child-centered organization. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
To learn more about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at: www.righttoplay.com