|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 18, 2022|
|Category|| Security |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving - and millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. As the largest nonprofit dedicated exclusively to unconditional cash transfers, GD has been delivering life-changing aid to hundreds and thousands of extremely poor and vulnerable individuals across the globe. We believe people living in poverty deserve the dignity to choose for themselves how best to improve their lives — cash enables that choice. We are constantly investing in new ways to improve the scale, speed, and agility of our operations while maintaining a high degree of beneficiary care, ethics, and protection. As part of this commitment, GD scopes its operations in new geographies in order to reach more deserving populations across the world. GD is currently assessing the feasibility of setting up new programs in Ethiopia with the aim of responding to vulnerabilities in selected communities in the area.
The objective of this assignment is to engage the services of a short term consultant or consultancy firm to assess the security risks and conduct community interviews in multiple Woredas in Sidama Region to help GD establish the feasibility of setting up a new program in Ethiopia. The consultant will conduct an assessment on the security risks and interview at least 15 community members, 6 community leaders, and 2 NGO employees (if available) in each Woreda and share a report with GD on the findings.
Note that successful completion of this contract will open the door to future expected contracts with GiveDirectly as part of this project.
Scope of Services
The consultant will assess the security risks and conduct interviews in Sidama Region. The current list of Woredas in Sidama under consideration are: Hawela, Shebedino, Dale, Aleta Wendo, Aleta Chuko, Bona Zuria. However, the final Woredas to scope within this group will be mutually agreed upon based on poverty levels, percentage of the population growing coffee, security and ease of conducting field operations. The task is expected to take around 10 working days (depending on the final number of Woredas) and will include community key informant interviews and report writing. Specifically, the consultant will:
- Assess the security and operational risks to potential GD staff and recipients in each Woreda and provide recommendations for mitigating risks identified.
- Identify respondents and share the list with GD providing justification for why specific people would add value to the whole process prior to conducting interviews. Respondents will include community members, community opinion leaders, and local leaders
- Book interview appointments with at least 16 community members and 6 community opinion leaders/local leaders, and 2 NGO employees (if available) in each Woreda
- Obtaining active informed consent from respondents using GD-provided informed consent forms
- Conduct interviews with each respondent using the interview guide provided by GD
- Write a report of the feedback from the respondents in line with the assessment areas provided by GD
Duration of the consultancy
The duration of the contract is expected to be 10 days, but this will be finalized after the locations are confirmed. GD reserves the right to terminate this contract at any point if the scope of services described above are not performed satisfactorily and within the times/duration indicated above.
Eligibility of Service Provider
The consultant or consultancy firm must meet the following requirements:
- Legal authorized to perform consultancy services in Ethiopia
- Experience working in the geographical areas listed for the consultancy with demonstrable informal networks and contacts
- Experience conducting security assessments
- Experience conducting community level interviews
- The assessment must be carried out by a consultant or staff from a consultancy firm that meet the following criteria:
- At least University degree in social sciences from a recognized University
- At least 3 years of consistent experience working with local communities
- Fluent in the local languages of the areas being scoped
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Experience with cash transfer programming in Ethiopia will be an added advantage
The Following Shall Be Required For This Assignment
- Provide a written report in English outlining the security and operational risks that would be faced by GD staff and recipients should GD operate in each area and recommendations for mitigating risks identified. Note - no set survey will be provided by GiveDirectly, the consultant is expected to assess the risks independently.
- The report should also include any relevant cultural norms (do’s/don’ts) of the area.
- Provide raw interview notes, in the original language and also translated into English, from each respondent participating in the community assessment. Note - an outline survey will be provided by GiveDirectly.
- Provide a written summary report, in English, of key themes discussed during the interviews in line with the assessment areas provided by GD.
Data sharing and data privacy and protection
The information collected from this exercise will remain the sole property of GD and shall not be shared with any third party without prior permission of GD. Recipient personal information shall not be shared with any third party without their consent and that of GD. The consultant shall not discuss the details of the interviews conducted under this assignment with any third party as this will constitute breach of privacy and confidentiality of the respondents.
Please provide your expected daily rate in your application form. The number of days will be mutually agreed upon based on the final number of Woredas.
The consultant shall be responsible for their own medical cover and any government taxes relating to this assignment. All costs including, but not limited to, local movement and communication expenses required for the consultant to deliver will be covered by the consultant.
Tentative payment schedule is as follows. Payments will be processed upon submission of an invoice inclusive of full bank details.
GiveDirectly approval of consultant work plan
Completion of all deliverables
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here .