|Location||Mai-Tsebri, Tigray, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 30, 2020|
|Category|| Social Sciences |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Center for Victims of Torture (CVT) is a US based non-governmental and non-profit organization engaged in mental health programs in Ethiopia to support the Eritrean refugees in Mai Ayni and Adi Harush refugee camps.
Currently, CVT is looking for qualified Counselor for its Ethiopia program. This is a full time position based in Mai-Tsebri in Tigray Region. The position holders will report to the Expert Psychotherapist/Trainers and Counseling Supervisors clinically, and to the Admin/HR Officer administratively.
Counselors will have the following major duties and responsibilities among others:
- Attend, participate in, and utilize material covered in intensive initial and ongoing trainings.
- Provide comprehensive psychosocial counseling to clients who have experienced trauma, torture and/or SGBV.
- Provide assessment, individual and group counseling sessions as assigned by the Expert Psychotherapists.
- Complete quarterly reports, progress notes, and treatment plans on time.
- Sensitize, solve problems, dialogue and mediate with the wider population about issues of war, torture, trauma and SGBV.
- Expected to become proficient with CVT’s data collection tools, conduct and submit assessments and reports in a timely and accurately.
- Work closely with the database staff to ensure quality reporting.
- Act as cultural and linguistic interpreters.
- Ensure all work with clients is confidential and that ethical practices are observed.
- Assist in designing, planning, implementing and facilitating of external trainings for numerous target groups.
- Develop new and strengthen existing referral systems with other organizations.
- Liaise with other stakeholders and partner organizations as deemed necessary.
- Engage in quality self-care through supervision, debriefings, and other shared sessions.
- Assist with any other related activities as deemed necessary by the Counseling Supervisors and Expert Psychotherapists.
- This profile can be modified to adapt it to the project context in light of the project needs
Terms of Employment: Initial contract from June 1st, 2020 through May 31, 2021 depending on funding availability and with a possibility of continuation thereafter also depending on the funding availability.
Number of Individuals Recruited: five (5)
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, or other related fields. Higher degree in psychology is preferred.
- Must have two years and above experience in similar settings in an international NGO.
- Must be fluent in English, Amharic and Tigrigna, written and spoken. Other Eritrean languages such as Saho, Tigre, etc. highly desirable.
- Strong administrative skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including empathic listening.
- Ability to communicate in a highly professional manner with clients, community members, colleagues, and professional partners
- Able to work independently, self-motivated
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Good team player: able to take direction and work collaboratively with others
- Result oriented
- Flexible and able to adapt to change
- Very good level of self-organization
- Ability to promote the values of equality, non-discrimination, and human rights for all
- Computer skills highly desirable
Please write an English letter of application stating clearly what motivates you to apply for the above position and how your qualifications and experience are relevant to the post. Include a copy of your CV, application letter, and the names and contact information of three references. Do not send original documents as these will not be returned to you. Submitting false information will result in your application being disqualified.
Please e-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 10, 2020 5:00pm, with the subject title “Counselor Position Application [Your Name]”. E-mails with attachments should not exceed a total of 1MB. Please send applications and CV for this time. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a written exam and interview.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.