|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The BBC Media Action office in Ethiopia is looking for a Country Director to provide dynamic, inspirational leadership and management to a diverse team delivering a range of exciting development projects. The role will directly line-manage the Senior Project Manager, Producer Director, Research Manager, Finance Manager and HR Manager.
The role requires a high degree of personal resilience and a flexible approach to managing an office in a challenging, multi-cultural context. The Ethiopia office has a talented team of staff, and is a supportive and inspiring environment in which to work.
This exciting and influential role will be responsible for the overall running of BBC Media Action’s office in Ethiopia. The Country Director will take overall responsibility for ensuring strong management and high-quality delivery of a range of development projects which use the power of media to tackle issues of governance, health, migration, youth unemployment and resilience. The post holder will ensure effective office management so that finance and administrative functions are carried out in line with donor rules, local regulatory requirements and BBC Media Action guidelines.
BBC Media Action works to ensure that everyone we work with remains safe during their time with us. The Country Director is responsible for ensuring that safeguarding is factored into project design and budgeting, staff and freelancers receive relevant safeguarding training, and relevant safeguarding due diligence is conducted with any local partner organisations that may be working with vulnerable adults or children as part of our projects.
This is a 24-month fixed-term position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate will require the following skills and experience.
- Substantial experience in the management of diverse teams of staff, including recruitment, management, discipline and professional development.
- Experience managing large-scale, donor-funded projects in a developing-country context, preferably in Africa. Proven ability to deliver complex projects to deadlines and within budget.
- Experience developing and securing international development or media projects, including the ability to develop new project ideas and present these persuasively to potential partners and funders, and write successful proposals.
- Significant budget management experience, demonstrating effective use of resources and responsibility for large budgets.
- A record of forming effective relationships with a range of local and international partners, including at the highest levels of government and media, and managing effective teamwork between partners and stakeholders, including those with differing agendas.
- Experience managing security planning, including overseeing processes to understand and minimize risks to staff, and ensuring security and safety training for staff.
- Considerable experience of working in the media or development sector (preferably both) and demonstrable knowledge of the development and/or media context in Africa.
- Confident public speaker with experience of presentations to colleagues, donors and other stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to international development, including the use of media for developmental goals.