|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 30, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GIZ - Internal and External Vacancy Announcement
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving in development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
GIZ, on behalf of the German government, is implementing the global project Energising Development Ethiopia (EnDev) Ethiopia. EnDev supports a sustainable supply of energy services to lower-income households, social institutions and small to medium sized enterprises with a focus on rural areas. EnDev is a multi-donor and multi-implementer energy access partnership. It is currently financed by five donor countries – the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, the United Kingdom and Switzerland. Being part of the global programme, EnDev Ethiopia receives additional co-funding from Ireland, the Korea Foundation for International Healthcare and the European Union.
Build, implement and coordinate the FSD component at EnDev Ethiopia
- Advisory, coordination and implementation of measures for developing and enhancing financial systems for the energy sector in the components and regions of EnDev operations in Ethiopia;
- Advising relevant partners (Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), commercial banks, SMEs, etc) on energy related financial mechanisms, including coordinating implementation partners in the field of energy;
- Supporting EnDev component team members (component managers and staff) in developing plans, strategies and activities under the financial mechanisms;
- Advising (government) partners and provide guidance on the role an integrated financial sector would have on the development of the energy sector in Ethiopia;
- Close coordination between GIZ programs, government partners, the private sector and other organizations to implement and develop financial systems for the energy sector;
- Support of all administrative processes within GIZ, including selection and professional support of experts and consultants as well as securing the work results.
1. Advising the partner institutions
- Engage in the design and implementation of regulatory areas in the financial sector that enhance /expedite the achievement of universal energy access in Ethiopia;
- In coordination with key stakeholders, identifying key hindrances and bottlenecks to the availability of financing for enterprises, with a focus on augmenting the provision of domestic financing;
- Elaborates on financial systems development policy recommendations and develops strategic approaches;
- Support on PAYGO market conditions including technical assistance to policy makers on lifting market entry barriers for large international PAYGO service providers;
- Technical support for MFIs to increase their capacities on financial product development tailored for energy access services incl. creation of a mobile-money-based PAYGO structure;
- Advises on development and implementation of project/program plans and activities in close coordination with implementing partners and EnDev Ethiopia regional offices;
- Contribute in the process of conceptualization, preparation and implementation of technical assistance schemes provided for federal and regional governments;
- Participates in identifying needs for external support and advice;
- Develop the framework for sub-component and individual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), develop and organize quality assurance, propose necessary improvements and initiatives;
- Monitor project progress, prepares & review reports and documents concerning the progress of the EnDev Ethiopia FSD component, determines bottlenecks and recommends alternative courses of action.
2. Cooperation and Leadership
- Undertakes the execution of her/his duties in collaboration and consultation with other Heads/Managers and experts/advisors at EnDev Ethiopia and partner institutions to ensure smooth communication, for meaningful partnership and ownership, alignment, harmonisation and effectiveness of the development aid;
- Cooperation with other components and programmes of the energy portfolio, coordination of joint processes, and participation in cross-programme work groups on strategic topics and cross-cutting matters;
- Provides support in organizational and management questions of the component including the identification of process optimization options;
- Responsible for the onboarding process of new colleagues;
- Supports EnDev Ethiopia Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation activities as per agreed plan in collaboration with all the components and sections in GIZ, including preparation and planning exercises for the EnDev Ethiopia project;
- Support and partly manages/ steers consulting activities and missions performed by national and international consultants
Required qualifications, experiences and competences:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in either economics, finance, renewable energies and business management, or any related field;
- Ability to see the broader picture and sector linkages, and up to date with recent policy developments in both financial sector and the energy sector in Ethiopia;
- Excellent conceptual, organizational, moderation, presentation and communication skills, and confidence to present the project, are vital for the position;
- Fluent in English and show competence in working in diverse and international teams;
- Fluent in other languages (e.g. Amharic, German) is an added advantage;
- Willingness to frequently travel to regional offices in Ethiopia.
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience in the energy sector or financial sector working on topics related to the energy sector directly linked to financial sector of development cooperation in financial institutions, in particular SME financing;
- Leadership / coordination experience and high leadership responsibility;
- Independent initiative and creative thinking to develop, optimize and present procedures;
Other knowledge, additional competences
- A good sense of the dealings within government agencies and international organisations as well as exposure to the coordination (and conceptualizing) of development programs;
- Excellent communication and moderation skills, both written and oral English;
- Willingness to work with conflict areas and related government structures;
- High degree of creativity, initiative, conceptualization, integrity and accountability;
- High level of knowledge in the MS office package;
- Communicate and operate with virtual communication software as MS Teams and skype;
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit;
- Experience in the fields of energy and finance issues;
- Relevant work experience with GIZ abroad, especially in Ethiopia, is desirable.
- Existing network in the energy and/or finance sector is an advantage.