|Location||Haramaya University, Harari, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2020|
|Category|| Social Sciences |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Haramaya University is one of the oldest Universities in Ethiopia, with its first intake in 1954. It is about 17km from the city of Harar, 40km from Dire Dawa (where there is a regional airport), and 510km East of Addis Ababa. The College of Health and Medical Sciences is based on a campus in Harar town to facilitate training of students in nearby hospitals. This campus also hosts the office of the two Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems (HDSS).
Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance network (CHAMPS)
The Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance network (CHAMPS, http://champshealth.org/) is a new global health surveillance network funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, aimed at understanding the causes of child death in developing countries, particularly sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. The Emory Global Health Institute, which houses the U.S. office of the International Association of National Public Health Institutes (IANPHI), is the lead partner in the network and has worked with the London School of Hygiene to develop the collaboration with Haramaya University.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The post-holder will work full-time at the CHAMPS site in Harar/Eastern Hararghe, Eastern Ethiopia. The post-holder will be responsible for supporting field activities, error correction, data management, data analysis at the HDSS and hospital sites where CHAMPS is associated.
Supporting field activities of the health and demographic surveillance sites;
- Devise a mechanism of error tracking and handling errors both at the field and on a system;
- Support in the data management process and work closely with database team;
- Do analysis periodically;
- Work on spatial data distribution of the events and other information as necessary;
- Do a risk and hot spot analysis using GIS based on data fed;
- Support data management, data analysis and information technology for the DSS, hospital and other studies as necessary;
- Work with local and international demographers, statisticians and epidemiologists;
- Prepare reports for local and international use;
- Generate key indicators by group and by location based on HDSS or Hospital data;
- Ensure data quality by doing including but not limited to data checks and audit
- Communicate and liaise national and international collaborators
- Participate in meetings and workshops as needed
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may be altered at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is full consultation with the post-holder. The post-holder will carry out any other duties, tasks or responsibilities as reasonably requested by the line manager.
- PhD in Demography/Population Studies or MSc in Demography/Population Studies and Assistant/Associate Professor of demography with five or more years of similar experience and two or more publications on demography and population studies;
- Capacity to work using GIS at expert level
- Command of demographic knowledge and skills
- Skills in use of relevant computer software (Microsoft Office, Stata, SPSS, EpiData)
- Good oral and written communications skills in English
- Skills in computer programming
- Research experience in statistical analysis of population health
- Good touch of Health Research
Haramaya University Human Resource and Development Directorate office, Administration Building 1st Floor, Room No. 114 at Haramaya’
CHAMPS office at College of Health and Medical Sciences, Haramaya University SGS building, Harar.
Haramaya University Liaison Office at Addis Ababa, Arat Kilo. Former Germany Cultural Institute Building Office No.15.
Send your credential and CV to the following email:- firstname.lastname@example.org