|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 4, 2020|
|Category|| Management |
Production / Manufacturing
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Save the Children seeks a Deputy Chief of Party, Operations (DCOP) for a five-year USAID-funded multi-sectoral and integrated positive youth development program. The anticipated program will build the capacity of national and local institutions to improve the quality and availability of health services, increase youth leadership and civic participation and improve economic pathways for Ethiopian young men and women.
The DCOP reports directly to the Chief of Party and ensures operational implementation of high impact, proven interventions that meet stated goals and reporting requirements. This role will assume the responsibilities of the COP in their absence. The DCOP coordinates with USAID, key stakeholders, implementing partners and government representatives. This role manages the implementation of key program activities throughout the targeted districts, and ensures efficient operational support for the project team. Specifically, this person is a key part of the senior management team and oversees high-level HR duties, such as attracting talent and setting training standards and hiring procedures. They also analyze and improve organizational processes, and work to improve quality, productivity and efficiency that will benefit the program..
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You'll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- In collaboration with the COP, ensure that the program is delivered according to the contractual requirement with the donor and government i.e. that all activities and deliverables are completed within the agreed timescale and budget, reports are submitted as per agreed schedules and any other requirements or criteria are fulfilled
- Design and regularly update detailed annual work plans and ensure these are used by the team appropriately to monitor progress towards completion and achievement of program objectives
- Ensure that programmatic and financial reports for donors, government and Save the Children are prepared as required, ensuring these are of the highest quality and submitted in a timely manner to the donor. Be fully aware of the grant compliance regulations of Save the Children as well as USAID
- Assist with the preparation and revision of a realistic budget, authorizing and monitoring expenditure in line with the budget, donor guidelines and Save the Children’s grant management and financial regulations
- Manage and motivate direct reports to achieve their work plan objectives, and to contribute to the achievement of the overall program goals
- Maintain good working relationships with officials, government ministries, implementing partners and the international and local NGO community
- Monitor country-level activities, identify challenges and develop appropriate reporting and results of project activities to the COP including progress and annual reports
- Coordinate closely with the SC offices in administrative and HR matters, especially regarding operations and financial matters as they relate to the program
- Attend and actively participate in periodic program meetings and ensure a summary of progress and challenges are prepared and presented with follow-up actions as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant areas of expertise, international development youth programs, workforce development, education, health or related field of study required
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in managing operations or program administration for a complex project in the Horn of Africa is ideal
- Experience managing program operations and/or administrative aspects of similar size and scope in a development context, ideally in Ethiopia
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations
- Strengths in inspiring and enabling others through teamwork, training, and capacity building to realize organizational objectives
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Master’s Degree in relevant areas of expertise, international development or related field
- Knowledge of local language
- Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Ethiopia
What’s In It For You
- Meaningful work, with a knowledge that you are changing the lives of children all around the world
- A family friendly work environment
- Highly collaborative and innovative teams
- Generous paid vacation days, holidays, family leave days, and sick time
- Healthcare plans including medical, dental, and life insurance
- Retirement savings account with matching company contributions
- Structured and formalized management development and coaching programs for mid and senior level managers
Qualified local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children - every day and in times of crisis - transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.