|Location||Debre Brihan, Amhara, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 24, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Haile-Manas Academy (HMA) is a new, private co-ed residential school that will provide Ethiopia’s most promising secondary students a world class education and will help transform the education available to all Ethiopian students. HMA is located in Debre Birhan.
HMA is seeking a Director of Finance to be an integral part of its leadership team. Under the general supervision of the Deputy Head of School, the Director of Finance has the responsibility to provide sound fiscal management for the school, including in the creation and management of budgets, the oversight of third party contracts, accounts receivable and payable and payroll, the establishment of sound accounting practices and the creation of periodic and annual financial reports and statements, the annual audit and all tax filings.
The Director of Finance is expected to work onsite in Debre Birhan Monday through Friday. The position is open immediately.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with other HMA senior administrators to create sound financial policies and procedures for a new school
- Establish a process for the creation of an annual and multi-year budget, and for the periodic review and revision of such budgets
- Working closely with other senior administrators and external constituents, propose and create annual and multi-year budgets, monitor progress and changes once budgets are approved and keep senior administration current on the school’s financial status
- Plan and direct the accounting operations of the school, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll and benefits
- Monitor all purchasing/spending and ensure sound audit procedures including that account procedures are adequate to record in detail all financial transactions and track them against allocated budgets
- Oversee HMA’s cash management with sound procedures, including making deposits, managing cash flow and forecasting cash needs
- Oversee the general accounting for all internal and external funds associated with the school.
- Maintain banking relationship and periodically review banking services and fees
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis
- Present and analyze financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to Head of School and Deputy Head of School
- Provide financial information as requested to school departments
- Track expenditures and produce financial statements for local and US based donors as needed, in connection with programs/grants or otherwise
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process. Ensure the items needed by the independent auditors are completed on a timely basis
- Communicate and coordinate with US parent and prepare financial information and statements as requested
- Complete and file all required financial reports and taxes
- Maintain property, vehicle, business and other insurance policies as appropriate and manage records associated with insurable property, insurance claims, and necessary reporting
- Request, review and negotiate facility and all third-party proposals and contracts for construction projects, facility repair, buildings and grounds, landscaping, bus rental, food services, uniform suppliers, extra custodial work and similar
- Implement a robust contracts management system such that vendors are both timely paid and held accountable for their services, and such that withholding taxes and any other required taxes are paid and accounted for
- Create tuition bills for parents and communicate with parents on payment schedules and outstanding balances
- Assist in the recruitment and training of finance/business office staff
- Supervise and coach finance/business staff
- Manage the operations of the school bank for students.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration or accounting, master’s degree preferred. Degree in a related area may be considered with suitable experience.
- At least Five years of experience in finances, accounting, and operations.
Specific skills and knowledge
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of financial software applications (QuickBooks preferred).
- Thorough knowledge of accounting/bookkeeping practices and pertinent codes, regulations, policies and/or laws, including GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles)
- Knowledge of financial records and statement preparation, presentation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of the methods used in monitoring, recording and maintaining budget information
- Knowledge of audit and cash management practices and procedures.
- Embrace of mission, aims and objectives of HMA
- Ability to quickly acquire knowledge of school policies, procedures, and systems as well as help craft policies that are not yet in place
- Unquestionable high personal integrity
- Self-starter capable of taking initiative within defined parameters
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment, think analytically and problem-solve
- Ability to collaborate with other HMA colleagues
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in both Amharic and English
- Excellent time management and organization skills, with attention to detail and ability to establish priorities and follow up on multiple issues in a time sensitive manner
- Skilled at information gathering and data management
- Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism, diplomacy, discretion, firmness, and collaboration with others at all levels.
Haile-Manas Academy is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Interested applicants may only send their Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com with “Finance Director at HMA” in subject line of email. Please note that applications without a cover letter, CV and “Finance Director at HMA” in subject line of email will not be considered.