|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 26, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
Health Care / Medical
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Chemonics International seeks experienced professionals for the USAID-funded Global Health Supply Chain - Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project. GHSC-PSM Ethiopia will serve as the primary vehicle through which USAID will procure and furnish health commodities, provide technical assistance to improve the country’s management of the supply chain, and collaborate with key international stakeholders to support global and local health initiatives.
The Director of Procurement and Customs Clearance supports the day-to-day management of the GHSC-PSM procurement and customs clearance team. S/he assists the Country Director to ensure that the GHSC-PSM-Ethiopia presents a coordinated and united representation to key stakeholders, such as USAID, Chemonics Staff, various Government and other organizations. S/he will work closely with the GHSC-PSM technical management team members to ensure timely preparation of work plans and budgets required by USAID and the submission of reports, internal and external, as well as timely completion of action items originating from management meetings. The Director of Procurement and Customs Clearance should comply with GSHC-PSM Ethiopia regulatory requirements and Chemonics’ policies and procedures. Please see the criteria below for detail:
Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management Ethiopia
The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain– Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives around the world. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, GHSC-PSM will develop and manage a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain.
At the country level, GHSC-PSM supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Global Commodity Procurement and Logistics
- Systems Strengthening Technical Assistance
- Global Collaboration to Improve Long-Term Availability of Health Commodities
The Director of Procurement and Customs Clearance supports the day-to-day management of the GHSC-PSM procurement and customs clearance team. S/he assists the Country Director to ensure that the GHSC-PSM-Ethiopia presents a coordinated and united representation to key stakeholders, such as USAID, Chemonics Staff, various Government and other organizations. S/he will work closely with the GHSC-PSM technical management team members to ensure timely preparation of work plans and budgets required by USAID and the submission of reports, internal and external, as well as timely completion of action items originating from management meetings. The Director of Procurement and Customs Clearance should comply with GSHC-PSM Ethiopia regulatory requirements and Chemonics’ policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
As the Director for Procurement and Customs Clearance for the GHSC-PSM Ethiopia Program, the employee is responsible for the following principle duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate development of procurement and customs clearance capacity in GHSC-PSM/Ethiopia and other concerned partners as appropriate
- Monitor changes in demand patterns and address implications in procurement activity
- Prepare and manage procurement strategies for commodity needs in HIV/AIDS, Malaria and RPH programs in Ethiopia
- Establish well-planned and effective in-country procurement unit capable of managing procurement of required commodities
- Oversee order fulfillment and procurement planning
- Lead product recall and product disposal initiatives
- Prepare comprehensive sampling and testing plans to ensure that GHSC-PSM only supplies commodities that meet USAID’s standards of safety, quality, and efficacy
- Build effective relationships with potential new suppliers
- Maintain a comprehensive supplier database and transaction system master data
- Manage the collection and analysis of procurement, planning and product quality performance data and initiate corrective actions when needed
- Work with M&E unit to liaise with the Performance Management Unit regarding project metrics
- Lead new project initiatives as assigned
- Coordinate and manage procurement activities of in-country team
- Direct procurement, tendering, and contracting activities with major suppliers
- Ensure that tendering, procurement, and contract management is open, transparent, and compliant with U.S. government regulations and that supply sources meet U.S. government criteria and local registration requirements.
- Establish and manage an efficient and effective procurement management system, including new standard operating procedures as needed
- Oversee preparation of and perform regular maintenance on pricing, delivery, and other service-level information
- Oversee the management of client orders and determine how orders and requisitions will be fulfilled to make the best use of available stocks. Obtain best prices and meet USAID’s service-level expectations
- Manage the commercial and financial aspects of the procurement process, including management of procurement budgets and approval of invoices from suppliers and service providers
- Review all field office purchase orders to assure correctness and compliance
- Address and resolve emerging or potential procurement problems.
- Serve as the representative in procurement matters with USAID Mission in Ethiopia
- Oversee the preparation and prompt submission of waiver requests to the Ethiopian Food, and Drugs Control Authority (EFDA) for regulated commodities, especially pharmaceutical and other medical and health commodities
- Oversee the request for delegation letters from EPSA for EPSA-consigned shipments
- Ensure that the donation certificate is prepared and submitted to USAID for approval and processing on a timely basis
- Manage a staff of customs clearance professionals in processing air and ocean shipments through EFDA; the Ethiopian Revenues and Customs Authority (ERCA) and other regulatory bodies as required
- Liaise with the delegated local clearing agents in managing performance and expectations
- Oversee the custom clearance process to ensure that performance standards are meet and shipments are cleared as expeditiously and efficiently as possible
- Maintain knowledge of freight market dynamics in Ethiopia to ensure GHSC-PSM obtains best service in locally arranged freight transactions and manage the risks inherent in procuring freight services for on time quality delivery.
- Coordinate with other partner organizations in matters relating to timely clearance and delivery of commodities.
- Maintain strong and effective working relationships with the relevant authority at FMHACA & Ethiopian Revenues and Customs Authority and other Ministries as required.
Level of Effort and Location
- This long-term position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with intermittent travel throughout the program’s target regions as needed.
- The Director of Procurement and Customs Clearance will report to the GHSC-PSM Country Director.
- Advanced degree in pharmacy, business management, public health and/or relevant field with at least seven years working experience in international public health field.
- Proven record of accomplishment in a major procurement for the public sector and a strong knowledge of the challenges involved in providing an effective procurement service in the emerging market.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in procurement and supply chain management.
- Knowledge of the USAID Acquisition Regulations and Federal Acquisition Regulations.
- Knowledge of the international pharmaceutical and medical supply market, with reference to HIV/AID, malaria and FP commodities
- Knowledge of GHSC-PSM procurement process and systems a strong plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills, preferably with experience building and managing new teams, and an ability to work across disciplines and in diverse locations internationally.
- Strong negotiation skills at a senior level with major international manufacturing companies.
- Experience in target countries.
- Fluency in English.
- Executive-level computing skills in standard software systems, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
- Willingness to travel, as needed
To apply, please reply to this e-mail PSMEthiopiaRecruit@ghsc-psm.org Please specify the position title as the subject line in your application and submit no later than February 7, 2020. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.