|Date Posted||December 14, 2022|
|Category|| Driver |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Vacancy Announcement #197/2022
As of 2022, Around 100 million people had fled their homes worldwide, with the refugee population under the UNHCR mandate doubling since 2012 from 10.5 million to 20.4 million. Humanitarian-, peace- and development actors need to coordinate closely with each other to provide assistance and protection and find solutions for the large numbers of displaced globally. Acknowledging this, the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) represents the political will and ambition of the international community to strengthen cooperation and solidarity with refugees and affected host communities and countries (see Guiding Principles of the GCR). Its four key objectives are to:
- Ease the pressure on host countries.
- Enhance refugee self-reliance.
- Expand access to third-country solutions.
- Support conditions in countries of origin for return in safety and dignity.
The project "Support to UNHCR in the implementation of the Global Compact on Refugees in the Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus" is implemented by the German Development Cooperation (GIZ). Energy Solutions for Displacement Settings (SUN-ESDS) is one of four project components. It seeks to address the lack of sustainable energy supply in refugee-hosting areas through global advisory services and technical measures in displacement settings in Uganda, Kenya, and Ethiopia.
A total of 874,239 refugees and asylum seekers live in Ethiopia, of which 373,294 live in camps in Gambella region, 249,343 in Somali region, 71,808 in Addis Ababa, 57,600 in Afar region,75,495 Benishangul-Gumuz region, 22,406 in Amhara Region, 16,034 in Tigray region and the remaining 9,000 in SNNPR and Oromia regions. An additional 42,296 refugees live in cities and rural areas integrated within host communities (data as of August 31, 2022).
UNHCR coordinates the humanitarian partners for refugee assistance in close cooperation with the relevant government agency, the Refugee and Returnees services (RRS). In addition, UNHCR works closely with partners (especially with NGOs) to implement measures on the ground. Ethiopia was one of the countries that agreed to implement the CRRF and launched it in February 2017, accompanied by nine governmental pledges. In particular, it pledged to strive for increased autonomy for refugees, broader support for host communities, and greater involvement of refugees in national development plans. In December 2019, Ethiopia added an additional pledge committing to provide market-based and sustainable household and facility-based energy solutions for three million people through promoting clean, renewable energy sources for 3 million people.
The global project targets the Gambella region where the negligible availability of energy services leads to an extremely high pressure on local natural resources, and results in a heavy burden on the relatively small host community.
SUN-ESDS Ethiopia works in three intervention areas to improve access to renewable energy for both refugees and host communities:
- Policy framework,
- Access to sustainable energy for humanitarian infrastructure, and
- Access to sustainable energy and basic cooking fuel for households and social institutions.
Contract duration: 31.12.2023
Required candidates: 1
Under the day-to-day supervision of the Administration and Finance Section, the Driver/Facilitator shall provide reliable and safe driving services with ensuring high accuracy of work.
The Driver/Facilitator will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrates commitment to GIZ’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge management and learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to colleagues
Development and operational effectiveness
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of safety and security issues
Required qualifications, competencies, and experience
- Secondary school or technical school graduate
- Possession of valid third grade driving license and auto mechanics skill
- Possession of defensive driving certification
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in similar occupations
- Solid understanding of vehicle maintenance.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair;
- High sense of responsibility, reliability and good behavior;
- Preferably in the possession of a recent (no longer than 3 years) 1st aid certificate;
- Experience the use of computers and office software packages (MS word, Excel, etc) is desirable;
- Ability to complete documents to facilitate payments of per diems and refunds, make arithmetic calculations using calculators and excel sheets if necessary;
- Knowledge of GIZ rules and regulations.
- Knowledge about the local context of Gambella region
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Service orientated
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement;
- Professional fluency in Amharic, good English. Local Language of Gambella region will be an asset.
- Disciplined and punctuality;
- Demonstrated capacity for stress tolerance and patience;
- Familiarity with area where the regional office is situated;
- Ability to work under time and other pressure;
- Willingness for extra hours assignment;