|Date Posted||January 21, 2020|
|Category|| Driver |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Driver is accountable for ensuring safe and efficient driving in Adama and in project areas. Provides transport service to SCI staff members, visitors or daily errands as assigned by supervisor. Prepare and submit monthly vehicle usage report to his immediate boss. Keep up to date data on the fuel consumption. Use log sheet for the day to day movement and should be familiar with safety and security guidelines of Save the Children International.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Receiving the vehicle with its accessories by hand-over documents and signs hand-over formats for receipt of vehicle with its accessories
- Providing driving services to the Coordinators, managers, staff members, visitors and guests from head
- Handles clients with due care and respect. Respects the faith and culture of different communities
- Respects the rules and regulations of departure and arrival hours according to logistic manual
- Handles confidential matters with due care and in consultation with senior staff.
- Maintains records of logbook for all journeys undertaken, fuel consumed, repair costs and ensures the logbook is available for inspection at any time
- Before starting the vehicle’s engine each day, checks the level of engine oil, radiator, and windscreen washer water are adequate, etc
- On weekly basis, checks the level of brake and clutch oil, battery water and the pressure of tires is at the proper levels, and also ensures that all lights and indicators are working properly
- Ensures that the assigned vehicle is not driven by another person unless authorized
- When assigned, assists in local purchasing/expediting activities
- Maintaining all safety and security measures to the vehicle under his/her care.
- Ensuring that the vehicle assigned to him/her is clean, fuelled, lubricated and regularly serviced as per schedule.
- Keeps all tools and reserve tyre with due care. Handles the vehicle and other related accessories and materials with due care
- Cleans seat belts each day and wears the same all times and insists all passengers to do the same
- Carry out minor vehicle maintenance at specified intervals and keep thorough maintenance logos for each vehicle.
- Have the SCI logo visibly displayed on all SCI vehicles, except where this would jeopardize staff safety or be inappropriate to specific local circumstances.
- Park in safe and secure areas all SCI vehicles during working and non working hours. Parks the vehicle in safe place during night.
- Undertakes minor repair of the vehicle
MINIMUM QUALFICATION, EXPEREINCE, COMPETENCIES
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of 12th grade or 10th grade with current educational system
- Own at least third grade valid driving license.
- Trained in Safety and Security
- At least 3 years of work experience in International NGOs with clean driving record.
- Willingness to work over weekends, holidays and harsh climatic situations.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills is an asset.
- Experience in vehicle maintenance
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work effectively in difficult environments
- Good English written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to SCI’s aims, values and principles
- Ability and willingness to travel to field sites and work in remote locations, often for prolonged periods of time
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Fluency in English, and other national/local languages both verbal and written essential
Commitment to Save the Children values
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/in/jobdetail.ftl?job=190003J6&tz=GMT+03:00&tzname=Africa/Addis_Ababa for External
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.