|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||February 1, 2020|
|Category|| Driver |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Driver position falls under direct supervision of the Snr. Admin/Finance Associate. The incumbent is responsible for keeping and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the organisation. He/she is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While basic function of a Driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, he/she may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles.
The incumbent has regular contacts with staff within UNHCR office, visitors and with service providers outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
- Assigned UNHCR vehicles are properly maintained and equipped as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation.
- Local traffic rules and regulations are strictly observed.
- Instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed by the Driver and the passengers during the journey.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers and delivery and collection of mail, documents, UNHCR pouch and other items.
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required; provide transportation service from and to airport, Hotel and/or guest houses, field units.
- Assist new International staff and/or UN Visitor to access basic facilities
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Drive the vehicle only when his/her safety or security is not at risk.
- Ask the passenger about the destination of the journey and route.
- Decline to drive passengers not authorized to be in a UNHCR vehicle.
Type of contract
- Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract
- 6 months
Number of Position
- Two (2)
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of Primary Education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
- Minimum 2 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language
- Knowledge of local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Auto mechanical skills.
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians and Non-Ethiopians with a valid work permit from Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter, the most recent factsheet and the new updated P11 Form through the online application system following the below link:-
Candidates will be required to take practical test.
Due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be invited for interview.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.