|Location||Dimma, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 11, 2020|
|Category|| Driver |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
To drive DRC vehicles safely and efficiently in accordance with DRC policy and national safety rules and regulations, responsible for the vehicle to which he/she is assigned and the completion of log books and fuel, records, under the supervision of the Fleet Officer.
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date
- Support the Fleet Officer with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Supervisors
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his supervisor. After consulting a mechanic, the supervisor will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey
- Driver is to ensure DRC visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional driving
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company is an advantage
- A full and clean driving license
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work in complex and difficult circumstances
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance
- A proactive and flexible approach to work; An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work; A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations
- A certificate in Defensive driving from an established driving school/firm is an added advantage.
- Hold a certificate in automobile mechanics is an added advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Senior Secondary School Certificate
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Proficiency in written and spoken Amharic and English
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than April 24, 2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.