|Location||Shire, Tigray, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 3, 2021|
|Category|| Driver |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Driver in the UNHCR Office is normally supervised directly by the Administrative Officer/Associate/Assistant or another staff member when the scale of the Operation so require it. Besides driving, the incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation. S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While the basic function of a driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles.
The Driver has regular contacts with staff within the UNHCR Office and with others (including Partners, government authorities, etc.) outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers, deliver, and collect documents and other items.
- Meet official personnel at airports or other locations and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road or waterway worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs, arrange for other repairs, and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations, or other local procedures, are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Ensure that instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed.
- Ensures valid documentation for passengers, items or cargo in vehicle.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G2D - 2 years relevant experience with Completion of Primary Education or High School Diploma or higher
Field(s) of Education
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses
- *Driving Licences;
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Not specified.
- * DV-Driving Rules and Regulations
- DV - Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills;
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
- As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
- Position Competencies
- Core Competencies:
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Not applicable
- Technological Awareness
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Knowledge of ''English'' is essential.
- Amharic and Tigrinya are desirable
- Additional Information
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- This position is advertised under a Fast-Track exercise.
- An eliminatory or complementary written test and oral interview may be administered.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through:https://www.unhcr.org/careers.html
The closing date for submission of applications is 10 September 2021 Midnight, Ethiopia Time.