|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 15, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (VN)
Open to Internal and external candidates
|Vacancy No.||IOM- VN/0141/22|
|Position Title||DTM Database Assistant|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||One Year Fixed Term with the possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||December 01, 2022|
|Posting Period||14.11.2022 – 21.11.2022|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the National Information Management Officer and under the overall supervision of the DTM Programme Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the establishment and maintenance of a database to store datasets, reports, and other products produced by the DTM unit. The incumbent will be accountable for the quality of data migrated to this platform, for verifying the coherence of datasets and conforming to IOM data protection standards
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Support in the development, implementation, and administration of database information systems to gather and process information required for DTM implementation, using standard design principles and patterns to attain high re-usability and maintainability.
2. Assist in creating database structures, and end-user interfaces and in preparation of business requirement documentation and training materials.
3. Improve and automate data validation mechanisms to support operational and reporting systems.
4. Proactively monitor integrated processes/database use, especially by field staff, and contact users to identify difficulties related to the database, server, or connectivity.
5. Maintain and expand the DTM Portal, implementing new requirements and functionalities, as needed.
6. Support in designing and developing DTM forms, using KOBO Toolbox.
7. Participate in the revision of the tools
8. Support the cleaning and analysis of data. Ensure data consistency and provide statistical information and mapping.
9. Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability
10. Verify the information and accuracy of the data in the system and ensure that reported figures are the same as the ones stored in the system.
11. Support in conducting triangulation of information
12. Support in managing and training of the data entry clerks to ensure the quality of data entered into IOM databases.
13. Ensure adherence to data protection policies following procedures put in place for requests for data changes, access, and general database use.
14. Perform other duties as they might be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with a minimum of three years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in data/information management, previous experience with IOM DTM an advantage;
• Ability to verify, clean, and process data using MS SQL Server and MS Excel required;
• Ability to design and maintain databases using MS SQL Server (Administration and Query);
• Knowledge of mobile data collection, Kobo Toolbox (XLS Form design and data management);
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic
• Working knowledge of other national languages is strongly preferred
Good knowledge of Word, Excel and the internet. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Values and competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
· Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.