|Location||With field travel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 2, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Position Type : National Staff
Direct reports: : Council Secretariat Finance and Admin and Assistant
Reporting to: ECSO Council Executive Committee President
Matrix :ECSO Council Executive committee Vice Presidents
EthiopianCivil Society Organizations Council Secretariat:
The Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations Council (ECSOC) is established in December 2020 based on Article 85 of the CSOs proclamation number 1113/2019. The council represents the civil society organizations registered by the FDRE Agency of Civil society organizations. The council aims at ensuring transparency and accountability of the sector using international principles as well as national values to promote self governance the ongoing operation of the sector as well as representations at various levels.
TheECSOCSecretariat exists for the purpose of: coordination, information sharing, advocacy, coordinate policy/position paper production, members/ government/donorengagement and engagement on other strategic issues regarding the sector as well as national matters.
Purpose of the role
The ECSOC Secretariat Director is a senior management position and is responsible for facilitating coordination amongmembers of the council, the executive Committee, and external stakeholders. The coordination entails ensuring effective information exchange, as well as representing and advocating on common positions and agreed interests of the council, CSO sector and wider society.
The ECSOC Secretariat Director is also responsible for building and sustaining productive relationships between stakeholderson one hand andgovernment, UN, donors and wider society in country on the other. TheECSOCSecretariat Director is also responsible for the general management of theECSOCSecretariat and its staff and effective and regular communication on Secretariat performance to theECSOCexecutive Committee.
The ECSOC Secretariat Director supports the work of thecouncil through the following key tasks:
Strategic management and oversight of the ECSOC Secretariat
- Strategic day-to-day management ofECSOCSecretariat staff, office, budget and relationship with the principle donor and members (includes report writing).
- Support the executive Committee to develop strategic annual priorities and engage closely with them to ensure Secretariat functions in line with these.
- Act as focal point for information/experience sharing with and with in the sector on relevant issues and work with key Secretariat staff to manage membership process, mailing lists and communication products.
- Maintain a thorough understanding and develop messaging on operational constraints and policy related issues affecting ECSOC in country as well as broader political developments. Read, synthesize and analyse political and security updates.
- In collaboration with the executive committee, conduct policy analysis, analyse information, and draft commonECSOCposition/policy papers on key issues affective the sector
- Provide a conduit for the members, government, donor representatives and other stakeholders to communicate and coordinate with the sector
- Participate in important government, and other policy and planning processes together with the executive committee presidents and members
- Ensure the council and Secretariat and activity costs are budgeted for and fully covered. Explore sustainable funding models beyond donor funding e.g. membership fees.
- Along with theECSOCexecutive Committee President and vice presidents and members, represent themembers at high-level fora including International and national forums, multi-donor meetings and other representative bodies as required. Issues will be agreed by the executive Committee.
- Increase and enhance engagement of and input from national into, regional and the international and create networking with likeminded councils or establishment for joint engagement at sub-regional, regional and global level
- Lead and conduct the regular statutory requirements like annual plans, reports and audits and present it to the members during general assembly.
Coordination and Communication
- Ensure transparent coordination mechanisms and regular information-sharing between ECSOC, members, donors and government agencies and other stakeholders as relevant.
- ScheduleECSOC annual/bi-annual/ regular meetings andECSOC executive Committee meetings, draft agendas with the president and vices as appropriate, invite external speakers and follow up on relevant action points
- Ensure executive Committee and Secretariat representation in the external engagements
- Along with theECSOC executive Committee president and members, represent theECSOC at key meetings with wider sector, donors, and GOE and ensure the dissemination of written feedback
- Encourage active and open dialogue between theECSOC Secretariat,ECSOCexecutive Committee andwider council members
- Coordinate visits of likeminded regional and global networks like CIVICUS, advocacy groups, researchers, donors, and partners working on Ethiopia
- Ensure the research, documentation and sharing of lessons learned/best practices on strategic or operational issues and actively share information with membersand other coordination platforms
- Identify gaps in research and analysis that, if addressed, would be useful by large numbers of the membership and hire and manage consultants as needed
- Support roll-out of relevant guidelines and code of conducts etc by facilitating the engagement of members and various networks in country
- Support ACSO to conduct scoping and information management of CSOs (National and International) active in development, advocacy and humanitarian sector
- Provide an accessible first point of contact for general inquiries regarding the work of ECSOC in Ethiopia
- Provide orientation briefings to new members about the council, the bi-law and the code of conduct
- Liaise withvarious similar coordination platforms in neighbouring countries in the region
- Provide information, briefings, presentations on the function and structure of theECSOC, best practices and lessons learned to other global consortiums/councils/forums or national coordination platforms on request
- Maintain strong partner relations and engage in the identification of new potential partners
- Maintain and/or develop productive relationships with key individuals in relevant government ministries, civil society, foreign and local NGO community, UN Missions, Diplomatic Corps, other donors, etc.
- Work to ensure a smooth working relationship between secretariat and updating the executive Committee on issues affecting the secretariat
Human Resource Management
- Provide leadership and direction, promote professional working relationships, and encourage ECSOC Secretariat’s staff
- Lead regular internal coordination meetings and ensure staff support
- Conduct regular performance appraisals identifying capacity building needs and further career objectives; follow-up, and maintain updated job descriptions
- Identify and resolve staff conflicts and concerns in a timely manner
- Recruit Secretariat staff in compliance with the secretariat recruitment procedures, including development of JDs, shortlisting and interviewing maintaining transparency and accountability
- Minimum ten years of progressive national and international experience working with NGOs and similar networks and forums
- Undergraduate/postgraduate qualifications in international relations, political science, development or other relevant field
- Demonstrated coordination experience in multi-agency forums
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Documented skills in developing proposals, budgets and reports
- Significant experience in the development of advocacy, policy and key messaging documents
- Strong understanding of the Government system, CSOs and international principles of development
- Significant understanding of complex development contexts
- Proven communication, public speaking, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Above average computer literacy
- Fluency in written and spoken Amharic and English is required
- Holder of a valid driver’s licence
- Interested candidates should submit their CVs and expression of interest/cover letter as per the deadline
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for further assessment
- References are required for finalists
Deadline for submission: One (1) week from the advertisement date.
Interested Professionals/consultants/ can submit their technical and financial proposals in hard copy to the Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations Forum /ECSF/ Office in Addis Ababa: Bole Sub-City, Around 22 Mazoriya, 100 mt from Awraris Hotel to the West, Next to Oasis Apartment Hotel; P. O. Box: 1270 code 100;
For any further information about this announcement, call @ 0912852814 or 0912375041.