|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 31, 2019|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Education in Emergencies Specialist for Country Office who will be reporting to the Humanitarian Director.
Dimensions of Role:
- Budget: Raises and also manages up to 5 million USD per year from diversified donors
- No. of direct reports: The post holder doesn’t directly line staff; this is non-supervisory level
- Communication: Liaises with government ministries, offices and bureaus at federal and regional levels and also with UN agencies, NGOs and other civic organizations working in education
- Risk Management: Has responsibility to comply individually with organizational and statutory policies and laws on People and Culture legality matters and also has responsibility to ensure compliance of the design and implementation of emergency/recovery and resilience focused education projects in line with applicable government policies, guidelines and procedures
- External Representation: Represents Plan Ethiopia in humanitarian coordination meetings, taskforces, clusters and technical working groups that are related to education in emergency/recovery
- Reach/Breadth of the post: Country wide
Typical Responsibilities - Key end Results of the Position:
- Support in the enhancement of EiE programming- including project design, budget management, quality delivery and timely as well as quality reporting
- Assist in fostering strategic partnership and collaboration with UN, government and non-government actors to ensure collaboration and coordination in the area of EiE
- Assist in works related to improving understanding and practices regarding humanitarian standards with the aim to ensure programme compliance and accountability to humanitarian principles with focus on child education related rights and conventions
- Assist to ensure effective communication & information sharing on EiE and on the impacts and best practices of responses within and outside Plan Ethiopia
- Assist to in resource mobilization and fund raising endeavors for EiE projects by supporting resource mobilization and effective utilization of grants/budgets
- Assess the situation of emergency areas and develop appropriate and quality project proposals.
- Prepare sub-grants agreements for implementing recovery emergency projects and coordinate related issues.
- Facilitate and carry out baseline study, semi/annual reviews, and evaluations during the lifespan of the recovery plan/project.
- Facilitate quality monitoring, mid-term and final project evaluation of the emergency/emergency projects in PIE.
- In close coordination with, the Learning, the Child Centred Programming, the M&E advisors adjust tools for monitoring and evaluation of recovery projects.
- Manage and oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and tracking of work plans and budgets.
- Complete quality program outcomes which surely benefit the indicated beneficiaries of the Girl Power program.
- Provide operational guidelines and procedures for use by all partners implementing the program
- Ensure high quality reports are submitted in a timely manner and according to the donor and PIE requirements.
- Monitor the impact of the EiE project and promote learning by documentation of best practices for future emergency works.
- Ensure regular participation in Education, NFI, Shelter and other related clusters, task force meetings, networks and other platforms at national level and ensure timely sharing of information collected within PIE
- Provide other related supports as required
- Provide adequate technical support to Programme Units and partners in the area of planning and programming projects focusing on education in emergency/recovery
- Review and submit project progress and final/terminal reports for donors, government and other stakeholders
Knowledge, behaviour and skills required to Achieve Role’s Objectives
- Basic knowledge on Minimum standards for education in emergencies/disasters
- highly knowledgeable and conversant of child protection and education in relation to emergencies
- Good understanding and experience in program management (assessment, designing, planning, implementation, report writing, monitoring and evaluation etc…).
- Demonstrated experience in working on emergencies and be familiar with Minimum standards for education - preparedness, response and recovery.
- Good knowledge of donor grants and contract regulations.
- Ability to deliver quality programs in a short time and work under stressful conditions.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills in English and Amharic.
- Strong analytical, writing, communication & interpersonal skills, and also computer literate
- Advanced skills, reputable experience in writing concept notes, proposals and reports
- Ability to develop innovative approaches and strategies
- Able to manage multiple and complex tasks within a deadline-focused environment
- Ability to keep abreast of developments in the humanitarian sector related with child right, child protection and development and ensure their dissemination within PIE
- Self-starter, enthusiastic & proactively engaging with limited external support
- Gender sensitive
- Assertive and clear minded while communicating
- Able to work with multidisciplinary team sometimes under difficult circumstances and using extra time including weekends
- Child friendly, respectful and fully committed to enforcing child right conventions and laws
Qualifications and Experience:
- MA/MSc degree in Education, Educational Psychology, Educational Administration, Pedagogy and other related fields
- A minimum of 5 years of humanitarian aid experience applied in emergency/recovery response operations preferably in the area of education in emergency/recovery
he closing date for the application is November 01, 2019. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.