|Location||Gambella, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 5, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
Education / Teaching
IT / Information Technology
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Purpose of the Role
|Purpose of the Role||Plan international Ethiopia (PIE) is implementing the project “Safe and Quality Education for Girls and Boys in Displacement Situations in Ethiopia”, funded by European Union (called EU BRICE project). The project is going to be implemented in host and refugee communities of Gambella region. Aimed at improving access to safe, quality ECCD and basic education in fragile, refugee camp settings and host communities through strengthening data collection for creating and disseminating a solid evidence base about access to quality and safe education in crisis affected environments.|
The EMIS Expert will be seconded to Gambella Regional Education Bureau (REB), the person will be responsible to the support the REB in the collection and management of the education data in real time, as well as of the correct management and documentation of the existing regional Education Management Information System (EMIS).
The EMIS Expert will be also responsible to design, organize and conduct capacity building in regard of the EMIS, the data collection and management of information collected at field level from schools and district education bureaus. He/she will be in direct contact with school principals and district education officers as required by the REB and/or Plan. He/she will be responsible to design tools and materials for the data collection and information management.
As part of the BRICE project, Plan will support the EMIS Expert in all his/her activities described in this Job Description. On the other side, the EMIS Expert might be requested by Plan, in agreement with the REB, of conducting other tasks in relation to his/her expertise in data collection and information management, data systems, and education.
The EMIS Expert will be functionally accountable to the Regional Education Bureau (REB), to the focal person of the REB for the EMIS and EU BRICE project (or other person assigned by the Head of the REB). He/she may requested to take an active role in technical coordination of the regional EMIS, as well as to attend and/or provide support in specific education Clusters or other coordination mechanisms related to the education sector.
The EMIS Expert administratively report to the Plan EU BRICE Project Manager based in Gambella. However, in order to conduct his/her activities as part of the EU BRICE project and provide/receive support from Plan team in Gambella, he/she will also need to coordinate with Plan Education Coordinator in Gambella and other Plan staff (as indicated by the Plan PM). He/she will also need to coordinate with regional governmental and non-governmental stakeholders working in the refugee camps and host communities in the education sector.
I. TECHNICAL SUPPORT
a. Within maximum 3 months from the start of his/her activities, in coordination with the REB and Plan, conduct an in-depth assessment of the existing technical knowledge and capacities in regard of the education data collection and management in Gambella to identify key gaps and barriers in the collection, storage, and publication of educational data in refugee and host community schools.
b. Include in the assessment clear and feasible reccommendetions to improve/solve any gap that have been identified and establish/improve a functioning EMIS in Gambella.
c. The assessment will need to indicate clearly the consultations conducted during the assessment. The EMIS Expert will need to consult all the relevant offices and stakeholders involved in the education sector in Gambella.
2. System design and management:
a. Within maximum 6 months from the start of his/her activities, establish/improve an easily accessible and practicable data collection and storage mechanism.
b. Within maximum 6 months from the start of his/her activities, develop, pilot, review and regularly apply templates to collect educational statistical row data.
a. Within maximum 9 months from the start of his/her activities, design adaptable and sustainable EMIS systems in consultation with managers and users at all levels, and based on the international and national standards and guidelines for EMIS system design.
b. Ensure the encoding and synchronization of collected row data with the existing education database, and support REB in establishing electronic database if it is not in place.
c. Provide technical support to solve issues related to the software tools in use for the EMIS activities at REB level, as well as at Woreda/Districts level.
3. Data collection and management:
a. Support, or directly collect, collection of statistical and school data through the existing structures (schools and district education offices) at the regional level.
b. Analyse, review and encode the data collected from the education system.
c. Support, or directly coordinate, the coordination the entry and maintenance of data related students, teachers and student enrolment, disagreed per gender and age in collaboration with the REB office, the district education offices and the schools for the whole region of Gambella.
d. Support, or directly organize, a proper storage and filing of the data and the documentation related to the EMIS in the REB office in Gambella town.
e. Assist, or directly coordinate, the computerized EMIS data exchange between relevant sectors/agencies as necessary and requested by REB and Federal Ministry of Education (MOE).
f. Calculate fractions, decimals, percentages and other mathematical operations as required by the activities to be conducted.
4. Data integration:
a. Analyse and link data and information collected from schools and other relevant sources to provide quality information.
b. Cross-check data collected with information directly acquired at ground level through different sources (like projects supporting the education system, field visits from REB and Plan teams, etc.).
c. Compile the data and information in order to prepare internal reports to be provided to the concerned legal body – REB, for decision making and publication of annual regional education abstract and brochures.
5. Capacity development:
a. Design, coordinate, and directly facilitate capacity development sessions to Regional, Zonal and Woreda/District data clerks, school directors/principals, teachers and education experts on topics relevant to data collection, data storage, data analysis, auditing, data reporting, data and information publication, and in general, EMIS data management.
b. Design, coordinate, and directly facilitate capacity development sessions to Plan staff involved in the EU BRICE project and other education activities, and other staff involved in the education system of the refugee camps in Gambella, on the same subjects mentioned above.
c. Conduct field visits to schools, Woreda/Districts Education offices to provide on-job coaching for individuals and teams involved in education data collection.
d. Design and develop specific written materials and/or tools dedicated to share information about the EMIS and related activities.
e. Support the EU BRICE team in the organization of learning events at regional and national level in the regard of the data collection, data storage, data analysis, auditing, data reporting, data and information publication, and in general, EMIS data management.
6. Monitoring and Evaluation:
a. Conduct regular field visits to schools, Woreda/Districts Education offices to monitor the quality of the education data collection process and provide verbal advices, and written recommendations.
b. Design and develop appropriate surveillance, monitoring and evaluation systems for education data collections process in the project target areas.
c. Develop and disseminate specific checklists to be used to capture the progress of education data collection in the Woreda/Districts within Gambella regional state.
d. Analyse the information collected and the progress of the activities and compile monthly reports with the data collected to be submitted to REB, an in agreement with the REB, also with Plan for technical review.
e. Prepare quarterly reports with the data collected and in-depth analysis of the EMIS status to be submitted to REB, an in agreement with the REB, also with Plan for technical review.
f. Collaborate and actively support any evaluation to be conducted either by REB or, in agreement with the REB, by Plan International Ethiopia associated with the EMIS in Gambella.
II. PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION:
1. Project understanding:
a. Fully understand EU BRICE project goals and organogram.
b. Fully understand REB and Gambella Education structure and organogram.
c. Familiarize with the basic tools of the EU BRICE project like the Detailed Implementation Plan, the Monitoring and Evaluation Plan, and Logical Framework, etc.
d. Familiarize with Plan education and child wellbeing programme in Gambella.
e. Active involvement in contributing inputs for any revision in EMIS component of the project as required.
2. Personal and project planning:
a. Within maximum 1 month from the start of his/her activities, prepare under the supervision of the REB focal person and EU BRICE PM, a personal action plan for the implementation of the activities and the tasks required from the EMIS Expert.
b. In agreement with the REB focal person and EU BRICE PM, review and update quarterly the personal action plan.
c. Within maximum 3 month from the start of his/her activities with close collaboration with the EU BRICE PM and the REB office, prepare an action plan related to activities to be conducted to reach the BRICE results of the project in regard of the EMIS system in Gambella – called EMIS Action Plan.
d. With close collaboration with the EU BRICE PM and the REB office, review and update every six months EMIS Action Plan.
a. Prepare and submit a monthly update of the activities conducted as EMIS Expert to be submitted to both the REB focal person and EU BRICE PM.
b. Prepare and submit a fully detailed quarterly report of the activities conducted as EMIS Expert to be submitted to both the REB focal person and EU BRICE PM.
c. Support the preparation of any other report, audit, monitoring visit required by the REB office or Plan in regard of the activities conducted by the EMIS Expert and/or the education system in Gambella.
4. Team work and working relations:
a. Develop and maintain constructive and respectful working relationships with REB and Gambella education system personnel.
b. Work in demonstrated cooperatively way with REB and Woreda/Districts Administration Education offices and other REB staff involved in the information/data collection and management related to education.
c. Work closely with EU BRICE Project manage and Plan Education Program Coordinator, and other Plan staff, to ensure that the implementation of project activities relevant to EMIS are progressing as planned and implemented in line with the Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) of the budget.
5. Other project tasks:
a. Support education data collection and data analysis during baseline survey, midline, and end-line surveys and any other research component of the project, and other assessments planned to be conducted as part of the project implementation.
b. Support the development of education materials and/or tools required by the EU BRICE project.
Dimensions of the Role
· Undertake the documentation and data management of the EMIS as per the procedure and standards set by the REB and Plan.
· Enhance the collection and management of education data of the Gambella region.
· Support the management of incoming and outgoing information and communication related to school enrolment, children attendance, drop-outs and other educational statistics, disaggregated per age and sex.
· Be technically accountable to the Regional Education Bureau.
· Be administratively responsible to Plan International.
· Ensure confidentiality and security of any data and information that he/she will receive and/or process during his activities with REB and Plan.
· Ensure the integrity of the tools and systems will be assigned to him/her for his/her activities.
· Ensure the integrity and the well keeping of any equipment that will be assigned to him/her for his/her activities.
Organizational Policies Procedures
1. Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
· Administratively to EU BRICE Project Manager
· Functionally to Regional Education Bureau and to Plan International Ethiopia Education Coordinator
· The EMIS expert will daily communicate with Regional Education Bureau, Plan International Gambella team and also expected to liaise functionally to other education administrative levels when necessary.
Education and technical qualifications:
· Bachelor Degree in Statistics, Information system management, BED in EMIS, Information Technology, Information management, or related fields. Masters degree in similar field of study is desirable.
· A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in Management Information System activities, with minimum of 2 years in a function of management or coordination is a mandatory required. Preferable the MIS experience should be in the education sector (EMIS), or there should be additional experience of a minimum three years in other education activities. (Specific written certification will need to be provided to prove this experience).
· Strong writing, reporting and communication skill in English and Amharic is essential.
· A previous working experience of working with regional education systems and bureaus, or similar project experience in education is an essential requirement.
· Previous experience in data collection systems design and database management.
Other relevant qualifications:
· Previous experience in working with international NGOs in a role of management or coordination.
· Previous experience in working in education projects in a role of management or coordination.
· Previous experience in working in in Gambella or other similar environments.
· Previous experience in project activities involving host community and refugee camps.
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
1. Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
2. Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
3. Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
4. Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
5. Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
1. Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
2. Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
3. Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
4. Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
1. Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
2. Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
3. Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
4. Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
5. Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
6. Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
7. Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
8. Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
The position holder is expected to work in Gambella town based in Regional Education Bureau office and/or in Plan Office in Gambella Town, with frequent field trips to different locations and refugee camps in Gambella
Level of Contact with Children
Intermediate contact: Intermediate contact and frequency of interaction
Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.