|Location||Bulle Hora and all fields, Oromi, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 30, 2020|
|Category|| Education / Teaching |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia Education Project coordinator is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The Education Coordinator is responsible for implementing the delegated Education project portfolio within West Guji and Gedo emergency areas and managing the day-to-day activities of Education staff to ensure proper delivery, high quality results and compliance to applicable laws, standards, practices, policies and procedures in coordination with the Education Project Manager.
- Adhere to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the Education strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Education projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from the line manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular reports to the Area Manager and education specialist on project implementation
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Supervise the Education team, ensure their capacity building and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented within NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and report any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action
- Ensure that all protection related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the related Protection Coordinator.
- Provide the Education Area Manager with quality regular reports on project implementation, status, identified issues and activities to be shared with donors and ensure regular monitoring of project implementation using developed tools
- Oversee the delivery of agreed outputs and quality of the Education activities and work closely with the staff members to set and monitor objectives and work plans to ensure activities are implemented in accordance with overall project objectives
- Ensure proper documentation and filing of Education related documents
- Manage the performance of relevant Education staff, set objectives, monitor work plans, and provide constructive feedback on a regular basis.
- Provide project and area specific information to the Area Manager and education specialist for proposal development
- Conduct frequent field visits to learning centers and educational sites to ensure that services are delivered as per NRC standards and to collect feedbacks from beneficiaries, teachers, etc.
- Lead necessary assessments to identify gaps, assess areas of interventions with the and prepare situational report to Area manager and education specialist
- Ensure the monitoring and evaluation plan is undertaken in a timely and effective manner in coordination with M&E unit.
- Manage the project budget, including the preparation, monitoring and updating of financial work plans, ensuring resources are managed effectively
- Ensure the Education database is updated with all beneficiaries’ information and validate consistency of data sets between the education database and NRC’s reporting system
- Ensure adherence to NRC procedures when recruiting teachers
- Manage the achievement of beneficiaries’ satisfaction through the effective delivery of projects
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- MA/MBA Degree in Education, Social studies, project management, community development or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant job experience in education institution, education in emergency project, training and capacity building project, preferably within the humanitarian sector.
- Experience in implementing INEE standards, inclusive education and other core human train standards and good understanding in cluster core function
- Knowledge of relevant concepts of returnee and host community response in education in emergency. understanding of protection principles
- Significant understanding of West Guji and Gedo education gap, socio-economic context, and main challenges affecting returnee and Host community children.
- Proven experience in implementing Education in emergency programmes, coordinating activities, and liaising with external actors, partners and cluster
- Knowledge of the Ethiopian Education system and West Guji and Gedo regional education context
- Experience managing Learning Centers and Outreach programmes in Informal Settlements
- Experience establishing parents’ committees and working with a community based approach
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English and Amharic, both written and verbal
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments Analyzing
All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae with three work-related referees through www.ethiojobs.net OR www.webcruiter.no Applications should reach NRC latest by February 08, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply and on the job training will be provided!”