|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 14, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK.
These connections lead to an understanding of each other's strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Implementation of projects with a low level of complexity funded by British Council or by another client or funding mechanism. Leads the successful delivery of a range of projects from start to finish including managing the contract or project plan, managing client or internal stakeholders, successfully achieving reporting and meeting compliance standards. Or works within a larger programme or multi country programme on a particular component.
Main Accountabilities But Not Limited To The Following
- Has relationships with delivery partners and stakeholders within country and is able to procure services and contract delivery partners.
- Ensure sound financial planning, working closely with finance teams to ensure British Council and client financial year plans are up to date.
- Contributes to development of, owns and delivers on Project Management Plan
Role Specific Knowledge And Experience
- Understanding of procurement, evaluation and reporting requirements of projects.
- Experience of managing projects from start to finish and familiarity with project life-cycles.
- Proven experience of managing project finances.
- Experience of managing stakeholders
- Project management qualification desirable.
- Experience of working in project or programme management.
- Experience of using technology in project delivery.
- Good understanding and experience of supporting monitoring and evaluation.
- Foundation level Project Management certificate
- Pay Band – BRC-6-F
- Contract Type: Two (2) Fixed Term Contract
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Language requirements: C1 English
- Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
- Role could require some domestic and international travel as required by the programme and some out of hours and evening work responding to or driven by programme needs.
- Closing Date – 22 August 2022 applications will close 23:59 South Africa Time
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email email@example.com
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.