|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 31, 2020|
|Category|| Advertising |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Summary of Functions:
- Plans and follow-up the implementation of the regional coordination of communication strategies, advocacy to promote UN75;
- Plans, monitors and documents the promotion of UN75 activities in the region
- Partakes and assists with the work of United Nations Communication Groups in the region on UN75 matters;
- Provides communications assistance for the DCO Regional Office for Africa;
- Plans and monitor the regional coordination for digital communications/content (including social media), while guiding and monitoring institutional RCO/UN Country Team accounts in the region in relation with UN75, and in line with the Secretary-General Bulletin on Institutional Use of Social Media;
- Focal point for coordination of media relations and partnership building at the regional level for UN75;
Description of Functions:
- Plans and follow-up the implementation of the regional coordination of communication strategies, advocacy to promote UN75:
- Provides substantive support to the Development Coordination Office- Regional Office for Africa, in designing, implementing and monitoring the UN joint advocacy and communication strategy around the promotion of UN75 activities;
- Maintains close, regular working relationship with Communications and advocacy officers in the region, particularly around UN 75 initiatives;
- Coordinates regional analyzes and presents inputs to the Regional Office for Africa for regional strategic advocacy and programme communications for UN75;
- Coordinates media monitoring and analysis in the areas related to the UN75;
- Identifies and assesses potential regional issues, concerns and risks related to communications and advocacy for UN75, and suggests corrective actions to the Regional Development Coordination Office;
- Assists the Regional Development Coordination Office in projecting the UN’s image effectively and accurately in the region as well as promoting transparency and accountability.
- Plans and monitor coordination of promoting the United Nations communications and advocacy priorities on UN75 at the regional level:
- Provides substantive support to the United Nations Department of Global Communications in adapting global communications and advocacy priorities at the regional level while promoting UN75;
- Maintains close and regular working relations with the field offices of DGC in the region on UN 75 matters;
- Advises the Regional Development Coordination Office on possible sources of funding and in-kind support and partnerships that could be leveraged for promoting UN75;
- Coordinates regional educational outreach activities, including the organization of Model United Nations conferences and public-speaking engagements at local educational institutions with support from and/or the participation of the respective Resident Coordinator and/or the UN country teams;
- Coordinates language products, including in Amharic in addition to UN official languages.
- Evaluates results and impact, at the regional level, of communications and advocacy initiatives promoting the work of the United Nations around the 75th anniversary and potentially also in key thematic areas, reporting the outcome to the Regional Development Coordination Office and the United Nations Department of Global Communications.
- Plans and monitor the regional coordination for digital communications/content (including social media) for the countries in the region:
- Plans and leads the regional coordination for external and internal digital communications platforms such as the UN country team websites, official UN country team social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.), Intranet and on-line collaboration platforms, also ensuring quality assurance of content;
- In line with the Secretary-General Bulletin on Institutional Use of Social Media, plans, leads and manages the development and implementation of a regional digital content strategy, assuring quality and contributing to the development of regional key communications and advocacy products (e.g. human-interest stories, multilingual and multimedia content, etc);
- Conducts regional exercises exploring the applicability of new and emerging tools and techniques to digital communications and advocacy activities to reach a wider, younger audience in the region.
- Coordination of UN branding and data/results reporting at regional level on UN75:
- Provides substantive support to the Regional Development Coordination Office on joint UN publications ensuring high-quality standards and the correct application of the UN branding guidelines and the UN publishing standards;
- Prepares inputs for the Regional Development Coordination Office- Regional Office for Africa on the use of the UN joint brand at the regional level across UN content and products, both offline and online;
- Plans, leads and organizes the collection of data on UN75 at the regional level, providing inputs to DCO/RC System reports, supports regional launch events for joint UN publications, coordinating with author entities in the respective UN country teams and relevant local partners, including host country authorities, media representatives, members of academia, etc. to ensure high visibility and impact.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of three (3) years, in public information, communication, journalism, or related area is required.
- A minimum of one-year experience working in the political, social and economic context of the region of responsibility is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Amharic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Experience developing and implementing strategic, multimedia and public information campaigns for a diverse audience, and experience interacting and managing relations with the media is required.
- Experience in working with and/or managing the work of teams in multiple remote locations is required.
- Experience managing resources, including personnel and budget, to support communications and advocacy activities, is desirable.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 06/02/2020