|Location||ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 7, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Strengthening the MOH capacity in achieving eye health prevention and control target, with a focus on the leading causes of visual impairment including blindness. The Technical Assistant (TA) will report to the MOH, DPCD and the National Committee for the prevention of Blindness (NCPB). The TA, with strategic guidance from MOH/NCPB, will provide program management, guidance and technical support per the National Health/promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative services Strategy mainly targeting on cataract & uncorrected refractive error.
Roles and responsibilities :
- With guidance from MOH/DPCD/NCPB and in collaboration with key stakeholders, lead the development of operational modalities and implementation of the control of visual impairment including blindness as follows:
- Identify, develop and evaluate new approaches and tools to support eye health service delivery including access, human resource, equipment and consumables.
- Ensuring service quality, quantity and equity.
- Provide guidance, oversight and technical support to IPs to ensure adherence to MOH preferred practices and policies for the delivery of eye health interventions.
- Participate in strategic planning processes, project designs, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in the delivery of cost-effective services and ensure objectives are met in line with national policies.
- Support the MOH in developing annual reports, disseminating information on eye health program activities, research and lessons learned at national and international levels. Provide technical assistance in monitoring and evaluating eye health program implementation specifically cataract surgery performance.
- Provide guidance on provision of comprehensive eye care service with special focus on provision of high volume & quality cataract surgery service & school health screening for refractive errors.
- Support MOH teams to build and maintain meaningful working relationships with regional health bureaus, variety of partners and other stakeholders at national and international levels in order to advance sustainable national plans and strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility.
- Strategic engagement with regional health bureaus, experts and NCD stakeholders, to strengthen the national planning and implementation process and increase its impact.
- Ensure information flows are maintained across the MOH teams, regional health bureau teams, directors, and other key partners.
- Provide coordination and technical advice on resource allocation necessary to support the MOH to deliver Catract surgery through quality service.
- Support coordination of different NCD program forums like NCPB, Annual and semi-annual review meetings, and conferences.
- Organize and coordinate basic Eye health capacity building workshops& trainings to health professionals & primary eye care workers
- THE TA will contribute on development of technical and implementation guidelines (revision of Cataract backlog clearance initiative and eye care outreach & campaign guide), training materials for HEWs, training and mentorship of colleagues at MOH and RHB in NCD strategies and blindness &visual impairment prevention program.
- Work in close collaboration with eye partners to ensure project targets/goals are achieved.
- Provide technical support on ensuring quality of existing & new optical workshops.
- Work with EPSA to avail potential eye care supplies & equipment.
- Work on management as well as maintenance of non-functional eye equipment by arranging special eye equipment biomedical engineering TOT training for instructors & cascading training for biomedical engineers at health facility levels.
- Eye care program integration & collaboration with different directorates in the MOH.
- Support in moving forward the planned National Eye Health Survey.
- Provide support on expansion of low vision management service.
Duration of Position
The contract will be for one year (12 months), subject to extension
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- BSc/MD and Masters in Public Health (MPH) with at least eight years of experience in eye care program management.
- Fluency with project management tools, including creating and managing work plans and budgets
- Track record of successfully managing health programs
- Ability to train, leads, and coordinate among a wide variety of partners from the regional to district levels.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; detail oriented
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Able to troubleshoot, address challenges in an efficient and timely manner, and make sound programmatic decisions
- Proficient in data management and analysis
- Good command of MS Office software: Word, Excel, Access, statistical software use
- Willingness to travel to supervise eye care facilities and able to monitor outreach/ campaign services.
- Experience working within government systems and/or experience influencing the policies of government agencies, private sector organizations or donor organizations.
- A strategic and innovative thinker with a pragmatic and solution-oriented mind-set.
- A self-starter, with resilience, pace, and interpersonal flexibility.
- Willingness to travel regularly – including to project locations in remote areas in developing regions.
- Excellent English written and inter personal communication skills.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application indicating for which duty station they are applying for, non-returnable CVs and copies of all documents together with original documents to Ministry of Health Human Resource Administration Directorate within 10 working consecutive days.
MINSTRY OF HEALTH
HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION
BLOCK 1 FIRST FLOOR