|Location||Jewi Refugee Camp and Gambella Zuria Woreda, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 20, 2020|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Contract |
In Ethiopia DCA we work to save lives through humanitarian action, build strong and resilient communities, and fight injustice and inequality.
DCA has been supporting food insecure communities in Ethiopia with humanitarian assistance and long-term development since the mid-1970s through local churches and faith-based organizations and has been legally registered in the country since 2004. DCA Ethiopia’s modality of implementation is a combination of co- and self- implementation and working with local partners and likeminded INGOs in consortia. It has an office in Addis Ababa and 4 field offices in Amhara, Oromia, Gambella and Afar regions. The country programme has 3 thematic areas:
1. Community Development with focus on Women Empowerment
2. Resilience Building and Livelihood
3. Humanitarian action
About the Job
Dan Church Aid (DCA) in consortium with Mercy Corps is about to launch a project called “Resilient, Incomes through System Strengthening in Gambella Region (RISING)” with financial support obtained from WFP. The project will work towards improving rain fed crop production through expansion of improved technologies, development of small scale irrigation scheme, improving livestock productivity and promotion of social cohesion and peace building. The field officer will be based in Gambella and reports to the RISING Project Coordinator. He/She is in charge of executing RISING activities at community level including facilitation and familiarization of the project at woreda level and refugee camp, mobilization and organization of communities for successful implementation of the project, leading community level initiatives, handling beneficiary targeting process, providing day to day technical support to project beneficiaries, capacitating beneficiaries and stakeholders and collection and organization of information at grass roots level. The field officer will line manage one community facilitator.
Number Required: One
Duration: Until 31 October 2021
Reporting to: Project coordinator
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Roles and Responsibilities
Project Planning and Implementation
- Provide organized inputs to the planning process and ensure community level issues and concerns are included in concept notes and proposals.
- Prepare woreda and camp level detailed activity implementation plan.
- Provide day to day technical support to crop production (irrigable and rain fed) and livestock management related activities.
- Build capacity of targeted beneficiaries and government stakeholders on improved crop (irrigable and rain fed) and livestock production.
- Design and implement participatory approaches for project implementation.
- Fully responsible for collection and analysis of data/information at woreda and camp level.
- Identify core implementation challenges and take remedial actions as required.
- Ensure proper implementation of improved crop production and livestock management practices among project beneficiaries
- Organize youth/ beneficiaries into self-help groups and help the group function properly.
- Ensure timely and proper distribution of project inputs to the target beneficiaries
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Conduct daily field visits and monitor process and quality compliance with set standards.
- Take part in baseline and end line data collection as required.
- Conduct post distribution monitoring upon distribution of materials and inputs to project beneficiaries.
- Collect routine monitoring data on the status of the project and share the data with the Project Coordinator.
- Prepare and submit regular monitoring report to the line manager as per the required timeline and template
- Share monitoring findings and information with project coordinator
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to the line manager.
- Document lessons and best practices.
Representation and coordination
- Duly represent DCA in meeting with beneficiaries and beneficiary representatives
- Organize regular meeting with the community representatives and clarify DCA planned activities with the beneficiaries
- Create and foster the spirit and culture of teamwork with in DCA team and other partners
- Ensure that good relations are maintained with ARRA, all partners and stakeholders at camp level and beyond.
- Promote the organization’s key values and principles
- Represent DCA at woreda and camp level coordination meetings.
- Ensure proper sharing of information to stakeholders.
- Seek and solicit support from government and non-government actors for successful implementation of the project.
Complaint and Feed back
- Assess service gaps, complaints and feedbacks from beneficiaries and ensure they are handled properly.
- Ensure complaint handling mechanisms are in place and working properly
- Ensure beneficiary complaints are handled in safe and confidential manner.
- Integrate community feedbacks in to the response plans and project activities.
- Make sure that community facilitators are regularly collecting and updating complaints from beneficiaries.
- Minimum BSc Degree in plant science, agronomy, irrigation agronomy, horticulture
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience of implementing similar programs under NGO condition.
- Excellent written and spoken English language
- Experience in providing training and capacity building for stakeholders with focus on government extension workers.
- Ability to understand and respect the cultural, religious, and political environment and to work well with staff and local authorities in a diplomatic manner.
- Project management experience and ability to conduct technical and financial planning of operations.
Only online applications consisting of a CV and a cover letter will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply: Interested and qualified applicants should apply for the post via the below link.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status, and religious, political, or ethnic affiliation. Please do not mention your religious or ethnic affiliation in your application.