|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 8, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Contract |
L-IFT (Low Income Financial Transformation) is a Netherlands based Research Company specialized in diaries research and human centric program design. L-IFT is partnering with IFC to conduct a research project on digitizing value chain payments for Small Holder Farmers (SHFs). The research is about developing financial products and digital financial services that meet the needs of SHFs and value chain actors in Ethiopia.
For this project, we are looking for highly motivated, qualified, and capable professionals to fill the post of Field Researcher. There are in total 6 open positions, for Assela, Debre Birhan, Meki, Butajira, Bure (West Gojjam) and Awi areas.
The Field Researchers’ main responsibility is to conduct interviews with Small Holder Farmers (SHFs) as well as conduct Focus Group Discussion. The field researcher will provide daily reports including planning of the field work. The field researcher will be expected to adhere to all established ethical and survey protocols during the interviews and maintain excellent data quality.
The Field Researchers’ work will start by conducting intake interviews on the basis of which the sample selection will be decided. Each field researcher is responsible for interviewing 25 SHFs weekly. The complete sample of research participants will be interviewed weekly for 3 months. The field researchers will ensure data quality as well as strict compliances to all ethical and survey protocols during the interviews and subsequent data management.
The Field Researcher shall be directly supervised and work closely with the Field Manager.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Attend training sessions organized by L-IFT
- Internalize methods and protocols of data collection, and fully understand all questionnaires prior to commencement of the actual interviews
- Travel weekly to all respondents in the assigned research area to interview all participants for the research. Follow the remote COVID-19 protocol when indicated.
- Strictly follow survey procedures, ethical standards; COVID-19 protocols through the process of data collection
- Execute focus group discussion according to protocol set
- Document issues that arise during the field work and communicate them to the field manager and supervisor
- Safe handling of resources provided by the company (mobile phones and accessories) to protect them from any damage
- Report to the field manager on daily basis
- Actively exchange experiences and communicate observations in an exchange group of peers and supervisor
- Participate in two-weekly review meetings to address issues from the field and to get trained
Employment Type: Contract for- 4 months
The following are ideal features that are considered for recruitment.
Profile of an ideal candidate for field researchers
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in field of economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, development studies, psychology, entrepreneurship or a related field
- Resident in one of the research area
- Proven experience in data collection
- Good understanding of agricultural value chain and small holder farmers
- Young and energetic
- Able to relate easily to people and inspire trust (good verbal communication, good at encouraging people)
- Have good written communications
- Good command of English and local language- For all locations ability to speak informal, spoken as well as write and translate into commonly understood language.
- Have some computer and mobile-phone skills, command of Microsoft Office Suite and Android operating software
- Have some numerical and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Motivated/committed; Energetic/enthusiastic; Fast/pro-active (takes initiative to solve problems); Good with people (listener); Reliable/conscientious; Technology oriented; Interest in research; Good communicator; Modest; Non-judgmental; Organized/disciplined; Adoptable (Adjust easily with unpredictable situations), Inquisitive and curious.
To apply for this position, please complete the Job Application form on our website:
https://l-ift.com/field-researcher-ethiopia/ (which strictly requires applicants to write their motivation for applying and upload their CV). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.