|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 16, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Who we are
Jakenn Publishing is the media company of the present and the future of Ethiopia. We bring our passion for reporting and independent journalism to tell the stories which matter in the Ethiopia today and the Ethiopia being shaped for tomorrow.
JaKenn is widely known for its flagship publication and web portal Addis Standard. Started as a magazine in 2011, Addis Standard has evolved into the digital platform of choice for breaking news, analysis, and spell-binding commentary about Ethiopia that establishes understanding of happenings beyond your eyes and ears. One of the most followed media brands in Ethiopia on twitter and a solid web presence that has a firm grip on Ethiopia’s rapid political, economic, and social transformation, Addis Standard provides consumers content worthy of their time and attention.
As a young and dynamic company, JaKenn embodies an emerging multicultural Ethiopia where people are valued for their contribution to the development of a democratic and prosperous country. We understand that this means listening to our consumers, employees, and stakeholders in all processes from product development to execution. We value diversity and make an honest effort at providing an inclusive work environment that supports growth, nurtures innovation, and embraces risk taking.
As part of its corporate strengthening efforts and in accordance with compliance requirements of external stakeholders, JaKenn would like to hire a Finance and Administration Officer to implement the day-to-day activities of the Finance and Administration functions in the company. This position reports to the Finance Manager and will work with other members of the corporate services team in a dynamic company.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Financial business partner for both external and internal stakeholders, the Finance and Administration Officer will:
- Manage records, receipts, and conduct periodic reconciliation of transactions
- Process invoices, prepare balance sheets, and become the business
- Lead the internal and external audit processes by working with internal clients and the external auditor
- Lead the implementation of transition of the organisation’s financial reporting standards from GAAP to IFRS
- Coordinating and directing the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Assisting management in the annual review, preparation and administration of wage and salary.
- Preparing and publishing timely monthly financial statements
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting, and Revenue Recognition
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Monitoring internal control, and Overseeing and preparing income statements.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Finance Manager and/or interim CEO
- A minimum of Bachelors degree in Accounting from a recognised University with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
Experience and skillset
- Three years experience working in a medium size enterprise in Ethiopia with more than 10 staff and annual revenues of more than ETB 2million
- Experience in implementing financial reporting according to IFRS 4 SMEs is strongly desired
- Experience working on accounting software like Peachtree and Sage
- Excellent oral representation, writing, and reading skills in English, ability to communicate in more than one Ethiopian language strongly desired
- Ability to adapt to changes in a fast-growing company and provide solutions to these growing pains
- Ability to think strategically and execute with efficiency
- Understands and respects the importance of discretion in dealing with financial matters
- Strong adherence to standards, systems, and protocol in ensuring the financial health of the organisation
- Ability to adapt to and perform well in a multicultural setting composed of people from different backgrounds and strong opinions
Kindly prepare your updated CV and cover letter in one file and send an email to HR@addisstandard.com using format “reference number- [Firstname] [Secondname]” as the subject line