|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 31, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize a referendum, and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is undergoing institutional reform to enhance its credibility and capacity and conduct free, impartial and credible elections. Through the support of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), NEBE has contracted ABH Partners to provide human resource recruitment and management services.
Accordingly, ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Finance and Budget Manager.
Reports to: Chief Executive of HQ office of NEBE
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
Purpose of the Role
The Finance and Budget Manager is a leadership level position reporting to the Chief Executive Officer. S/he is responsible for all Board finances, including accounting and financial management as well as establishing and maintaining a sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures. S/he will also advise the Board leadership and other staff on financial matters.
- Develop financial resource management strategy, policies, guidelines and procedures which are in line with basic public finance laws and guidelines for the organization;
- Based on the strategic objectives of the organization, prepare annual departmental plan;
- Based on the budget threshold, collect information from departments and prepare annual budget;
- Based on the approved annual budget, analyze the budget and code them correctly as per the organizational chart of account;
- Manage all accounts including ensuring that cash, payable and receivables are reconciled in a timely manner;
- Prepare financial transaction report every month and share with leadership;
- Establish committee responsible for preparing cash flow and cash need plan and monitor its implementation;
- Based on the approved budget and cash need, approve cash requests and present to responsible team/person;
- Periodically monitor cash at hand and in the bank and confirm the financial capacity of the organization;
- Check spending against effective use of financial resources and ensure that the best value for money is achieved;
- When budget deficiency occurs, recommend allocation of additional budget and budget transfer for approval;
- Review payment and budget requests against relevant guidelines and channel to responsible expert for implementation;
- Ensure that income from donors are collected and deposited to the organization bank account on a timely manner;
- Ensure that funds from donors are utilized as per the agreement and prevailing working manual, prepare reports, provide technical advice;
- Monitor and control the financial transaction of projects funded by government and donors ,
- Ensure various templates, accounting books and cheques are handled properly, design controlling system and follow up its implementation;
- Develop a robust internal financial controlling system
- Monitor and confirm all accounting records are done properly;
- Based on the delegation of authority, review and approve employee salary and other payments;
- Based on the organizational mandate, he/she ensure relevant incomes are collected and transferred to bank on time;
- Ensure timely financial closure and actively collaborate with internal & external auditors
- Based on audit finding and recommendation, prepare an action plan and take immediate corrective action;
- Provide external auditors’ report along with a receivable and payable explanation to responsible departments;
- Ensure the withholding and payment of income taxes, withholding taxes and other taxes and payables;
- Validate financial transaction explanation and analysis;
- Compile and validate the monthly report and submit to the board and relevant government authorities;
- Ensure that all financial transactions of the institution are processed accurately, in accordance with the intended purposes.
- Provide training/orientation to staff and other partners on government and organization financial management policies and procedures; and
- Perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- MA/MBA/BA in Accounting, Accounting & Finance, Business Management, Business Administration and public Finance
- For MA/MBA holders: at least 8 years of relevant experience of which 4 years on leadership position and 4 years of experience in public sector.
- For BA holders: at least 10 years of relevant experience of which 6 years on leadership position and 4 years in public sector.
- Strong verbal and written communication skill
- Solid knowledge of full cycle accounting principles, financial systems, budget/cash flow monitoring and internal accounting controls
- Respect NEBE’s main principles of performing in a free, impartial and fair manner;
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Strong conceptual analytical skill and numerical ability
- High level of computer literacy with sound knowledge of financial accounting software and spreadsheet package
- Strong organization and leadership skills
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Conduct self with integrity and function ethically
- Ability to manage staff and work with senior management
- The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Not a member of any political party
Qualified applicants can submit their, application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials and work experience via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by stating the position you are applying on the subject line of the email. The application may also be submitted in person to our office located on Bole Road, behind DH Geda Tower Addis Ababa from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Application Deadline: 5:30pm, August 14, 2020
Qualified candidates who fulfill the criteria will be hired only following the approval and endorsement by NEBE.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.