|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 26, 2019|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Finance and Grant Department Head will play a key role in the implementation of EKHCDC financial policies and procedures for EKHCDC’s programs. He / She will ensure that internal and external financial requirements are met accordingly, financial integrity of the operations with regard to controls, systems and reporting are held to the highest national and international standards, and the Government of Ethiopia’s laws. The Finance and Grant Department Head is also responsible for budgeting and cash flow management, managing all financial documentation, effect payments, evaluation and financial reporting activities.Key Responsibilities and Accountability:
Financial Management and Compliance
- Ensure financial/accounting activities are carried out in accordance with EKHCDC’s accounting policies.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions in an organized and professional manner. Ensure that all transactions are properly accounted for.
- Ensure that appropriate finance systems are maintained, and that all procedures and controls are implemented.
- Work closely with EKHCDC Commissioner to ensure that financial record keeping is accurate and auditable.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports are submitted to the concerned body.
- Manage bank accounts, and other transfer of money between Head Office and Field Offices.
- Monitor cash flow and ensure that sufficient funds are always available in the bank.
- Ensure EKHCDC’s programs adhere to Government of Ethiopia’s laws, including financial reporting, tax, and proper registration with all relevant authorities as required.
- Ensure all cash is reconciled periodically, monitor any over and under spending and take the appropriate corrective actions if necessary. Administer all cash advances to employees and project partners, reconciling all receipts and remaining cash at month’s end.
- Review financial transactions for EKHCDC operations as appropriate (includes vouchers, Cash Advances, transfers, etc.). Ensure adequate cash flow for operations and safety of financial resources at all locations.
Internal Controls and Audit Support
- Ensure that regular checks of EKHCDC’s accounting activities in all its Field Offices, including monthly reviews of financial transactions to check for appropriate documentation, correct account assignment and approvals;
- Ensure 80/20 is properly handled.
- Ensure that adequate internal controls are in place, closely monitor all financial activities and keep concerned bodies advised in all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance;
- Take a leadership role in facilitating internal or external audits.
- Work closely with stakeholders in the planning and coordination of any of audits.
- Take appropriate action with programs concerned to address audit findings and recommendations, follow through in action plan commitments and share all through the Commissioner to the key stakeholders.
Finance Unit Leadership and Management
- Provides oversight to the Finance Team (Finance Coordinators and Officers) to follow routine weekly and monthly schedules and meet deadlines;
- Work collaboratively with the HR Manager to recruit, orient and train all finance department staff; Lead and nurture the team spirit and integration of the new staff with Team members.
- Manage finance staff travel and vacation to coordinate staff absences to avoid gaps and minimize risks in key responsibility areas;
- Identify capacity development needs within the department and organize appropriate trainings.
- Manage finance staff ensuring their job responsibilities are current and provide support and/or training to achieve their objectives. Conduct performance reviews of subordinates.
- Identify areas for financial management systems improvement and work with programs to implement those improvements. Keep them abreast of Ethiopian legal requirements.
Financial Reporting (Internal and External)
- Prepare management reports at the end of each month.
- Supervise monthly financial closing process in the System (review, upload and post monthly journals);
- Consolidate monthly financial reports to provide project managers with timely reports on fiscal health, including revenue/expenditure reports, expense reports by grant and budget variance reports, among others;
- Direct the preparation, review and approval of all donor financial reports in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements and ensures the review of such reports by the commissioner prior to submission;
- Fully respond on all the reviews at any time from program staff and the commissioner.
- Keenly monitor and assess cash levels against spending plans, contractual commitments, etc. To ensure sufficient operational funds are available, and vendor and labour payments are made promptly upon receipt of necessary justification documentation.
- Support the enforcement of EKHCDC Finance policy on program advance, credit terms, credit cards and use of bank payment instruments and ensure compliance with EKHCDC requirements.
- Ensures that all grants/projects reports are discussed with the project team and passed to donors and support offices within the required time schedules.
- Co-ordinates and review project budget development (proposal, grant and matching funds if a need be) between the program personnel and the field teams.
- Reviews and analyzes grant expenses while using the same as a monitoring tool to advise the stakeholders on expenditure trends.
- Reviews donor financial reports and variance analysis before submission and provide feedback to the stakeholders.
- Makes correspondence with partners/donors of EKHCDC (including regional and zonal offices), and EKHCDC management team regarding project income and expenditure providing periodic financial updates.
- Ensures that various donor regulations are complied with in all grant transactions and processes; keep the commissioner informed on all major compliance issues/challenges while taking the necessary corrective steps.
- Reviews and give advice on the project proposal/budget preparation in regard to compliance issues for all prospective sources of funding.
Term of Employment:
- One year with possibility of extension
- EKHCDC Commissioner
- MA/BA in Accounting from recognized University with minimum of 5 years’ work experience (7 years’ for BA) in Finance and Grant Management position, with practical knowledge of international standards of project accounting, financial management including budgeting, grants, and contracts;
- Broad working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and practical knowledge of financial system and internal controls;
- Strong experience with international and local audit requirements
- Experience working within Government of Ethiopia regulation of NGO activities
- Working knowledge of major donor funded operations, finances services and practices
- Excellent computer skills in excel and wide range of accounting software
- Passion and commitment to serve the poor and in full agreement with EKHCDC’s Vision ,Mission and values
- Excellent oral and written communication in English
- Exceptional interpersonal, team building and relationship building skills.
- Team management through delegation, clear assignment of responsibilities, provision of sufficient authority and budget, and performance assessment.
- Proven ability to manage, motivate and mentor staff at all levels and create positive team environment.
- Experience in NGO Grant and finance Management
- Hands on experience in finance Management software tools
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting copies of an application letter with updated CV, telephone number, essential reference documents, certificates, contact addresses of your references to the following address:
Ethiopian Kale Heywet Church
Development Commission Office,
HR & Logistic