|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 31, 2022|
Organizational Profile: MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Position Summary: The Finance and HR Head will be responsible for creating and implementing a financial accounting and control mechanism, budget and disbursement processes for projects in compliance with IPSAS and other requirements for Civil Society Organizations. The Finance and HR Head is also responsible for preparing budget justification narratives, disbursement of payments for goods and services in accordance with MERSA Media Institute’s guidelines, project cycle administration and monitoring and evaluation of project spending under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and in collaboration with authorized project staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a financial management mechanism for MERSA Media
- Institute in accordance with organizational policy, IPSAS and donor requirements for the specified contract period. Provide continued strategic advice and assist in updating organizational manuals according to IPSAS guidelines.
- Process grant transactions according to organizational manuals, regulatory requirements and grant timelines and terms of reference.
- Manage project expenses, handle payment requests and disbursement for procurement of goods and services from contractors, handle documentation and settle/reimburse expenses for travel and training related activities.
- Deduct all applicable taxes from payments for the procurement of goods and services, comply with all applicable tax codes and file to appropriate authorities in a timely manner.
- Prepare and review cash flow for projects and submit a report to the Executive
- Director and other authorized project staff.
- Assist in annual and project specific budget preparation.
- Manage petty cash according to organizational manuals, process authorized payments and document receipts.
- Document and keep records of all financial transactions, prepare accounting reports in accordance with project timelines and upon request from management. Quickly adapt and implement donor required accounting and reporting requirements and software.
- Take a lead in financial management and assist project staff and the Executive Director in project cycle management, events planning and management and other project related activities.
- Perform any other related task as may be assigned.
Duration of Employment: 6 months – 1year, with a possibility of extension.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or business administration (2-5 years of preferably NGO experience)
- Experience in handling grants for NGOs, IPSAS ready, project management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and other local languages
- Leadership core qualifications including team work, planning and organizing