|Location||Addis Ababa,Shire, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 15, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Title: Finance Assistant
Employment Category: I2
Reporting To: Support Services Team Leader
Direct Reports: N/A
Start of Contract & Duration: One year
Posting date: June 12, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the supervision of the Finance Officer supports in day to day routine financial duties, reviewing transactions and processing payments for the area office. S/he will provide financial support to DRC and stakeholders, ensuring compliance with DRC’s Operational Handbook.
- Assist in the preparation of payment requests and payments ensuring compliance with DRC’s Operational Handbook.
- Support in maintaining accurate and compliant financial records, both soft and hard copies, ensuring records are properly filed and labeled, checking the completeness of financial documents.
- Perform coding and record cash transactions in the accounting system on a daily basis.
- Receive and track cash advances and settlements, ensuring that staff are compliant with regulations in place in DRC’s Operational Handbook
- Process withholding & Income taxes and Pension Fund to the relevant Authorities.
- Apply the basic accounting principles, knowledge, and techniques to analyze the variances, assist in production of journals, and perform routine accounting activities
- Provide support in preparing the financial reports in the accounting and finance system as per the instructions received from the Finance Officer.
- Maintain, update, and retrieve the financial information from the financial systems.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 2 year of relevant work experience, preferably with NGOs for BA and 4 years’ relevant experience for Diploma holders.
- Experience using financial software applications and/or advance computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines with limited supervision.
- Proven commitment to accountability.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Diploma, BA, MA in accounting or relevant field from a recognized institution
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Proficiency in English, Tigrigna, Amharic
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than June 26, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.