|Location||Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 23, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
STEM (2016-2023) is a Global Affairs Canada (GAC) funded project which aims to increase the number of Ethiopian men and women with relevant skills and qualifications for work in the mining sector as part of the country’s National Growth and Development Plan (2016-2020). The project’s goals are to strengthen university and technical vocational institution’s capacity to produce skilled and qualified graduates that have relevant technical and environmental skills and knowledge for the mining sector; to improve the instructional capacity of university/TVET instructors; and to ensure that community members, especially women living in and around mining sites have the appropriate skills and abilities to benefit from employment opportunities resulting from mining activities.
Project and Contract Period
The STEM project is implemented by Alinea International Ltd. (formerly Agriteam Canada Consulting Ltd.) ending in April 2023. The position is full-time, beginning immediately until June 30th 2022, with contract renewal based on a performance review and mutual agreement.
Scope of Work
The role of the Finance Coordinator (FC) is to plan, direct, and coordinate financial management, accounting, procurement, financial reporting and financial controls and systems and will be based in the Mekelle Office. The FC will oversee and organize many facets of the project’s financial management, procurement and accounting components, including training and directing other project staff and consultants.
This position will involve working in a self-directed manner, as well as part of a team including national and international personnel within a participatory and iterative project framework. Under the general guidance of the Canadian Field Project Director, based in Addis Ababa, and the Ethiopian Deputy Project Manager, based in Mekelle, and working with the Alinea Project Controller and other staff in Canada, the FC will undertake the overall financial management and accounting pertaining to the STEM project.
- Provide local data on costs of goods and services in the Tigray and Addis Ababa regions and assist with the preparation and monitoring of project budgets;
- Manage cash flows of the project office; costing and expenditure forecasting for the Ethiopian field offices; ensuring adequate funds available for project operations in Ethiopia;
- Ensure compliance with Ethiopian financial and taxation regulations, preparation of Withholding Tax statements and submissions, and VAT statements and submissions, including VAT reimbursement processes;
- Conduct overall consolidated project accounting, procurement and financial systems at the main field office in Mekelle and monthly consolidation of the Federal Office’s expenditures, including monthly ledgers, bank reconciliations, advance requests, petty cash counts;
- Provide financial data and input for budget control and project progress reports;
- Ensure adherence to internal controls and procedures, and compliance with Alinea’s financial management procedures and requirements;
- Coordination of the project’s local currency advance and reconciliation procedures for Canadian long-term and short-term consultants living and/or visiting Ethiopia in close collaboration with relevant staff at Alinea’s offices in Canada;
- Coordinate and manage advance payments and deposits for rents and/or leases with landlords or agents, vendors and repair/maintenance service providers. At the end of the program, ensure that all rental deposits are recovered, utilities and services are canceled in a timely manner and that all related payment obligations have been settled;
- Monitor local financial conditions; report on significant changes; e.g. exchange rates, inflation, taxation and corporate regulations and recommend actions if/when there are significant changes that may affect the operations of the project;
- Monitor local financial conditions and report on significant changes (e.g. exchange rates, inflation, taxation and corporate regulations, etc.) and recommend actions if/when operations of the project may be impacted;
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing assigned tasks thoroughly and on time;
- Assist with the achievement of financial objectives by anticipating requirements, submitting information for budget preparation, scheduling expenditures, monitoring costs, and analyzing variances; and
- Other relevant duties and/or special assignments as required
Education and Experience
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Working knowledge of Tigrinya and Amharic;
- Degree in Accounting, Financial Management or in other relevant fields from a recognized university;
- Minimum of 5 years’ of relevant work experience in finance and/or accounting of international projects;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in project financial management; budgeting, costing, forecasting, budget control, cash flow management, financial reporting and internal auditing;
- Excellent computer skills with advanced skills in using MS Excel, MS Word and other relevant office and/or financial packages. as well as standard procurement practices for project equipment; and
- Knowledge and experience with government finance, accounting, Ethiopian tax regulations and procurement systems and procedures generally and in Tigray regions specifically, would be an asset.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com by June 25, 2021. Please include the position title in the subject line
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone inquiries, please.