|Date Posted||January 2, 2023|
|Category|| Finance |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
The position holder will be responsible to support efficient Sub office projects implementation by facilitating and monitoring financial management activities and making sure financial activities meet all Plan International financial procedural issues, legal compliance and all donor requirements with strong professional support to the Sub office manager, coordinators and partners.
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Operational Plan Preparation (10%)
- Assist budget holders on the annual planning and budget management.
- Ensure Sub office Operational plan is prepared and approved before Project Outlines Produced.
- Ensure all Project Outlines are prepared based on Operational Plan and gets approved.
- Ensure all the approved Project outlines are phased in as per the donor & approved operational financial Plan in SAP system.
- Consolidate and forward cash flow Projection from departments to Program Area & follow the status of the received cash in order to maintain adequate cash balance in the sub office .
Grant Management (25%)
- Review agreements with partners and ensure donor compliance requirements are reflected accordingly before the agreement is signed with focus on Plan International Ethiopia’s and back-donors’ guidelines and requirements.
- Participate in the implementation of existing grant management systems, ensuring that they are consistent with national procedure.
- Conduct regular monitoring visit to partners’ offices, to provide technical assistance on grant management.
- Give proper orientation to relevant Sub office staff on newly started grant projects; focusing on compliance matters and sharing pertinent documents and files
- Monitor grants on a monthly basis. Liaise closely with budget-holders to support the analysis of monthly variances
- Coordinate all grant management meetings; update the financial status of projects, follow up on agreed actions, with relevant departments and staff, viz. sub office manager, Supply chain, Human Resources, Programs, and partners as the case may be.
- Support implementation of all donor financial compliance requirements in coordination with other departments and Provide orientation on donor regulations to staffs
- Follow the financial documents for Partners’ advance liquidation and subsequent fund release to ensure internal financial procedures, systems, policies and controls are applied and compiled as per Partnership Agreement, Grant Agreement Documents and Donor’s requirements.
- Follow & participate in reviewing Partnership advance as per agreed terms and conditions/partnership agreements and follow all partnership advances on age basis and alarm partners and responsible coordinators for timely liquidation.
- Ensure that the payment to partner process has been followed for all advances in the month, and that any advance liquidations have been processed through the liquidation cockpit in the correct account in SAP.
- Support Budget Holders (BH) in mapping, phasing and re-phasing of grant budgets. Insure the correlation of WBSs with fund programs are correct & create a link of PO with their associated funding bundle in SAP system. Support budget holders to ensure that budget amendments and modifications are in line with Grant Agreement Document
- Provide support to ensure that all grants are complete and accurate from a financial perspective & make sure that all cash advance transferred to partners are settled in advance of grant closure.
- Review the financial information to BHs to produce donor reports are in accordance with donor reporting template and within the time.
Transaction Processing (35%)
- Review all payments against the budget and established rules and regulations.
- Review purchase and contract to ensure conformity with the established polices and procedure of Plan Ethiopia and legal requirements.
- Review payments for advance and follow up its settlement.
- Make sure that vendor open items have been cleared on a weekly basis to correctly reflect outstanding payments and avoid duplication of payments.
- Ensure the all expenditure happened in the month are recorded within the month
- Review long timed open purchase orders and communicate with logistic departments for settlement
- As the participation of finance coordinator in every procurement is mandatory ,Participate in sub office procurement committee, signing suppliers RFQ ,review & sign canvas sheets for proper supplier bid comparison, relevant pricing and insure that compliances have been meet in every purchase
- Work with budget holders to ensure that expenditures are in line with Plan’s and donor’s financial policies and guidelines and make the necessary adjustments when necessary before every months financial closing
- Closely Insure and assists that emergency projects have adequate cash for their immediate payments in every day
- Review and insure that emergency project documents are settled in accordance with their associated grant compliances.
- Insure emergency staffs salaries ,benefits & associated government liabilities are processed, accrued & paid monthly as the nature & time of emergency projects are short & recurrent,
- Follow and review emergency project GIK items are properly received, recorded in GRN, issued & reached to the intended beneficiaries through GIK reports & make sure that GIK items are reconciled.
- Assure that GIK costs in emergency POs are in line with their associated FAD values when POs financial review in SAP is done
- Insure that GIK values are properly recorded in SAP & their associated beneficiaries’ lists are documented & ready for statuary, donor & external audits.
- Insure that all the necessary cost have been recovered & shared direct costs have been charged to grants with fair share.
- Review petty cash payment and its replenishment. Review Sub grantees advances to Local NGOs/governments, as per the partnership agreement.
- Verifying, Tracking and documenting community contributions when projects are implemented jointly with local community.
- Review Payroll for all compliance and authorization issues.
- Ensure employee income taxes & pensions are deducted from staffs as per the Government tax & pension proclamation and paid timely.
- Ensure taxes are deducted from suppliers’ payments as per the Government tax proclamation and paid timely. Arrange and check cost document for verification by external auditor, follow up on agreed actions, resulting from audit and project evaluation recommendations, as necessary.
- Review all purchases are made with reasonable comparison and authorized sources.
- Insure that every months financial transactions are free from WBS & GL errors posting and ensure that correcting journals have been made in time before monthly closing
- Review NR grants posts to ensure NR grant expenditure has been allocated correctly to its donor line
Financial Reporting (20%)
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statement and take action on all irregular transactions.
- Review sub Grantees financial reports & subsequent fund release requests.
- Reconcile cash clearing and inter office accounts between the PA and Sub office records.
- Follow and review all donors’ financial reports are sent on time with reasonable accuracy.
- Prepare monthly project reports & monitor level of expenditure for grant portfolio against budget every month right after monthly closing and provide timely advice of likely over and under spending.
- Prepare emergency project reports & monitor level of expenditure for emergency grants portfolio against budget every two weeks and provide timely advice of likely over and under spending.
- Prepare monthly pack reports as per global hub requirements
- Review financial reports for consistency with narrative reports and compliance before sharing to Government & to PA.
- Prepare monthly financial report and update all budget holders including the PA finance manager for timely utilization of project funds.
Team Management (10%)
- Monitor the performance of staff members continuously and conduct semi-annual performance review for everyone in the unit.
- Provide a supervisory role to Finance Officer and finance assistants on different issues
- Coach and lead all staffs working under her/his region to fully takeover each other’s responsibility on one’s absence.
- Participate in collective decision making in Sub office Management Team (PAMT).
- Participate in team building process as a Sub office Management Team (PAMT).
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that all staff in the unit/function/department are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Education at First Degree level or equivalent vocational study in fields such as Accounting and Finance
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience of International NGO grant management systems and financial regulations
- Knowledge of Grants Administration especially system management and donor compliance in reporting of diverse institutional donors (EU, USAID, ECHO, UNICEF, GFFO, DFID etc.)
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Demonstrated knowledge in cost recovery principles and systems, experience in implementing a cost recovery system is preferable.
- Experience in managing performance and facilitating development of staff is preferred.
- Fluency in English language is essential
- Knowledge of Local Languages is a desirable