|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 19, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Internal / External Vacancy Announcement
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned bellow.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 12 Regional Offices, 34 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches, 599 Woreda Red Cross Committee and 5871 Kebele Red Cross committees.
ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs relating to food security, climate change adaptation, livelihood diversification, and institutional capacity building interventions, with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. ERCS works in partnership with the Ethiopian Government, International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), partnering National Societies, members, volunteers and the communities we serve.
Key performance area
Under the general direction and guidance of the Deputy Secretary General , the Finance Director responsible for the following major functional duties.
- Plans, organizes, directs and controls the overall financial activities of the Society; Studies, designs, introduces and improves systems and procedures that enhance the budget and cost control and efficiency of the financial and accounting practice of the Society;
- Ensures compliance with approved financial and accounting policies, procedures and standards of the Society and ensures that books of accounts and other records are kept for all financial and accounting transactions of the Society;
- Directs the utilization of financial resources to support the Society’s strategy, long term goals and annual objectives of the Society and follows up the collection of all receivables that result from service, donations, grants and other transactions of the Society;
- Ensures that the budget proposals are consolidated, finalized, approved and executed accordingly and Proposes adjustments to budget in the face of new circumstances;
- Ensures that all the Society’s financial obligations are timely met and all disbursements are made in accordance with financial policies and procedures of the ERCS; ensures that the Society’s cash, stock and depreciations of fixed assets are properly accounted for;
- Approves payment requisitions as per delegated level of authority in accordance with the financial policies and procedures of the Society;
- Directs, coordinates and performs the preparation and submission to funding partners, project financial reports and periodic and annual financial statements of the Society and Advises the management of the Society on matters of finance;
- Solicits funding sources for core cost activities of the Society and oversees budget utilization on the basis of monthly budget utilization or financial statements of projects and functional units at the National Head Quarters;
- Provides directives and follows up on the preparation and timely submission and consolidation of financial reports of branches and gives technical support on financial administration to branches;
- Establishes regulatory policies and procedures that help to administer and control budgets of the Society’s National Secretariat and branches and provides necessary supports to branches on matters of finance; Ensures that project and branch funds are transferred to regional/ zonal branches in the right amount and time;
- Ensures the timely auditing of accounts of the Society by external auditors; Ensures that audit comments on accounts and other financial matters of the National Secretariat are effectively addressed, enforces proactive measures against potential deficiencies in relation to finance; provides solutions and decisions to problems faced by the National Secretariat’s work units and regional/ zonal project offices with regard to finance as per the delegation thereon;
- Ensures that the special and regular financial statements and reports are timely prepared and communicated and Reports to the Deputy Secretary General for operation sector on budgetary, accounting and other financial matters at command or in accordance with the pre-established reporting timeframe;
- Ensures that the financial activities of the Society are equipped with the necessary manpower, equipment and supplies; and Participates in the recruitment process of subordinates;
Reporting to: DSG
Qualification and Professional Experience
- Second degree in Accounting/ Accounting & Finance/ MBA with Accounting background.
- 10/12 years relevant work experience of which 5/7 years in a managerial position(s)
We invite candidates meeting the required qualifications to fill out the employment application form from the official website of the Ethiopian Red Cross in vacancy menu http://www.redcrosseth.org/get-involved/vacancy and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of this announcement on Nov 24, 2021.
Qualified women are strongly recommended to apply!
Please note that we ONLY consider those who filled in the application form and send us back. We regret to inform that we do not accept CV at this stage.