|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 17, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
The Finance Manager is responsible for supporting the Country Director by providing strategic and technical support in the implementation of finance activities in line with policies, procedures and best practices, which may include design, implementation and improvement to financial systems and processes The Finance Manager is responsible for the preparation and presentation of country-level financial statements to donors and Medical Teams Headquarters.
Leadership & Administration
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, contribute to developing organizational objectives and change management strategies
- Responsible for the implementation of the country office finance strategy and ensuring effective financial management & accountability
- Ensure the establishment, implementation, and management of Medical Teams’ financial systems, reporting tools and standard operating procedures (SOP) in collaboration with HQ finance team.
- Provide leadership to Finance Team by mentoring direct reports and providing technical supervision, trainings and participate in capacity building opportunities
- Ensure proper induction of new finance staff and support to establishing new Medical Teams field offices and design of new finance team structures in country
- Accountable for the appropriate use of resources in accordance with budget holder authority and Medical Teams cost principles
- Develop, implement, and maintain internal controls and financial procedures to ensure compliance with statutory, international, donor, and HQ (FOM) regulations and requirements
- Conduct regular field visit to monitor and support the financial performance of a project and support the field team.
- Represent the organization to financial partners, including donors, financial institutions, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Close coordination with procurement and logistics teams on planning and sourcing strategy for program commodities
Cash Management and Payables:
- Ensure timely financial planning, budgeting, and cash forecasting in collaboration with HQ and field team.
- Liaise with head office, field, and country office, to ensure there is optimal cash levels at all times.
- Ensure timely payment to all organization’s payees and venders and maintain sufficient and complete payment records.
- Review of payroll transactions, allocation and reconciliation with staffing list on a monthly basis in close coordination with HR colleagues.
- Review fund and bank reconciliations prepared by Accountants and Investigate bank statement reconciling items to establish their appropriateness and validity.
- Ensure MTI meets all local taxation obligations and reporting.
- Conduct regular and surprise cash, inventory, and asset counts/ verifications in line with the guidance provided by the risk and compliance officer.
- Supports finance function of preparing reports for all donor projects and submit to Country Director for review and addressing under-expenditures or other financial compliance issues
- Work with the program team (Medical Coordinators, Field Coordinator and Health Advisor) on development of donor budgets that reflect accurate Country Office costs and strong risk management of donor budgets
- Meet with finance and compliance donor representatives to support grant acquisition, implementation and closure, as appropriate
- Ensure the timely posting of finance transactions in the Unit-4 accounting system.
- Ensure timely and accurate functioning of the Unit 4 financial system including maintaining the completeness and integrity of data, generating reports, reviewing account reconciliations, and authorizing transactions in accordance with MTI procedures
- Manage and ensure that accounting and finance records are complete and up to date at country office and field office level through establishment of standardized filing systems
- Oversee the monthly and yearly closing of accounts and balance sheet, in order to verify evolution of project finances; flag any issues of concern to the Country Director for further strategic discussions
- Review and approve transactions and Cash Books before posting in Unit-4
Budget and Reporting:
- Coordinate the development of annual master budget and actively participate in the development of budget proposals that align with donor requirements, prepare cost allocation schedules for shared costs following the set policy and donor standards.
- Set up new grants/project and budgets codes and budget lines in accounting system (Unit 4)
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and presentation of financial statements and reports
- Responsible for timely preparation of budget Vs Actual (BvA) analysis, coordinate regular review meetings with Program department and support timely and accurate budget revisions and updates as required.
- Responsible for the donor Funding reconciliation, cash receivables management through income & expenditure tracking schedule against all signed donor contracts, prepare donor invoices and request for the donor and field office cash disbursements
Audit and Compliance Controls:
- Take the lead in audit preparation, sourcing external auditors and support program and HQ staff in preparation for external and internal audits; ensure that audit recommendations are implemented and maintained
- Regular compliance review of finance and procurement files in line with the designed checklists
- Verify sub awardee accounting systems, financial reporting and internal controls comply to applicable accounting and financial reporting standards
- Evaluate and review the Internal Control System to ensure that it is functioning as planned; modify as required to meet the changes in operating conditions
- Ensure effective compliance with MTI and donor requirements by orienting staff on policies and procedures; Liaise with Program Team to monitor deviations from the planned activities and agreed input and outputs
- Ensures the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, and Child & Vulnerable Adult protection policies and sexual harassment policies;
- Other duties as assigned
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme hot or cold weather, and very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
Reports to (position): Country Director
Work Days & Hours: Monday-Friday, 40-48 hours/week, occasional weekends and public holidays
Travel: Regular travel to field offices
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or Commerce
- Required: Professional Certification (CPA, ACCA, CFA, CIMA)
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in related field
- Required: Minimum 4 years of work experience in finance management, 3 years of NGO or UN experience in a finance role and development of donor budgets with field and program staff.
- Preferred: Experience working with INGOs at the implementation level and oversight of other finance staff
- In-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and relevant donor requirements
- In-depth knowledge of preparation and presentation of financial statements and audit practices
- In-depth knowledge of local law in the areas of taxation and local regulatory reporting obligations required.
- In-depth knowledge of ERP systems and computerized accounting software such as Sage, Unit4, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of donor finance, procurement and compliance requirements and regulations related to UNHCR, PRM, BHA, IOM, Country-Based Pooled Fund and other institutional humanitarian donors.
- Skilled in using ERP system to process financial transactions
- Highly skilled in use of Microsoft excel and other Office software
- High degree of analytical and financial reporting skills
- Strong administrative skills in managing documentations and project funding information
- Skilled in training and capacity building
- A good command of both written and spoken English, with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to respond to tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to maintain detailed records with high accuracy
- Highly organized with good quantitative analysis and problem-solving ability
- Ability to act with integrity and maintain the highest ethical standards
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Ability to support Medical Teams Calling and adhere to the Medical Teams Code of Conduct
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee must be able to:
- Frequent use of a personal computer, database and digital platforms, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.
- Frequently uses hands, fingers, and arms to reach, handle, touch or feel equipment, medical instruments, materials, computer.
- Frequent communication and exchange of information among colleagues and persons of concern which requires the ability to speak, hear, convey and express oneself.
- Frequent close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, steps, or ladder.
- Occasionally move about inside an office to access file cabinets, office machinery, meet with colleagues, etc.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Seldom to occasionally positions self to Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- If in travel status, occasional to frequent traversing over rough or steep terrain in either a motor vehicle or on foot.
To apply, applicants should use the following email address: email@example.com and
Note: Use " Finance Manager" as the subject line of your email !