Finance Manager _Grants and Contracts
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 24, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Under direct supervision of the Assistant finance controller, the Finance Manager will be responsible for the overall financial management of the grants/contract. The position is mainly expected to coordinate project implementation support, donor report preparation, budget monitoring, verifying field and Addis expenditures against donor restriction and compliances. In addition, he/she will also be responsible for any other grants management and operational activities as assigned.
Finance managers – (Grants and Contracts)
Compliances – Donors, governments and IRC policies and procedures
Ensure donor, IRC and gov’t policies and procedures are effectively and efficiently applied on assigned grants through on time preparation of monthly, quarterly, interim, and final quality donor reports and submitted to the donor after completing the internal review process with HQ with high standard. The gov’t report is monitored jointly with field finance manager and ensure each report submitted to respective gov’t office without delay. Partnership agreement and IRC PEERS policy and procedures are well exercised and implemented in the management of subgrantees and oversee document verification conducted and follow-up fund transfer from the donor to partners. Receivables are strongly and closely monitored for timely collections.
- Check all requirements are ensured through transactional compliance and data reconciliation during each report preparation.
- Every wrong expenditure is corrected and adjusting entry are prepared and get approval from supervisor then posted in the system up 30th of every month before final report shared with HQ for review.
- Error free monthly, quarterly, and final donor and gov’t report submitted to the donor gov’t respectively before the due date.
- Oversee fund transfer from the donor timely collected and ensure you updated the monthly cash transfer tracking on the box up to 30th of every month.
- Establishes finance and supporting function policies, systems, and procedures, as required.
- Follow up donors reporting schedule and ensure timely report submission to HQ and the donor.
- Assets are tracked from SUN system and reconciled against SC report on quarterly bass and maintain file for this.
- Ensures balance sheet reconciliations are reviewed while preparing reports.
- Maintain current local gov’t requirements related to financial matters and ensure compliance with tax and other legal requirements.
- Closely monitors all financial activities and keeps the finance controller advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
Budget management and monitoring
Ensure effective budget management through monthly BVA, spending plan and compliance review and constructive feedbacks shared with respective unit on monthly basis. Make sure the spending plan is prepared and uploaded on the online BVA for each grant and the monthly BVA report analysis report measured the spending plan against actual in addition to donor and gov’t compliance review. Actively participate on project management meeting and provide constructive feedback so that accurate and timely information are available for decision makers to make an informed decision. New proposal and budget revision properly reviewed according to IRC, donor, and Gov’t requirements within given deadlines and alive on the online BVA.
- New budget proposal reviewed within 2 days of received.
- Review personnel budget spending and provide timely impute for Monthly salary map allocation for effective budget utilization and keep donor compliance.
- Ensure spending plan is uploaded on the online BVA before spending.
- Grant monitoring maintained through review of budget utilization and participate on budget revisions.
- New Budget/ realignment/ are made available on online with in two working days of maximums.
- Monthly BVA report analyzed as soon as the monthly SUN actual is synchronized which is before 25th of every month. the end date reached by doing spending and flagged major issue with respective staff to maintain donor compliance and effective budget utilization.
- Ensure BVA adjustments are posted on the 1st round and proposed recoding shared with supervisor for approval up to 30th of every month.
- Field finance staff are aware of grants & compliance related issues.
- Updated grant files are maintained and for easy reference.
Staff training and capacity building
Ensures staff under supervision are well capacitated through on job training. Performance management activity established timely to conversant with operational procedures and policies. Build the capacity of all staff but encourage female staff on their career development. Also, conduct comprehensive and constructive performance reviews objectively and timely and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with staff under supervision. Regular 1 to 1 meeting conducted at least 2 hour per month and improvement areas identified for effective staff development. Encourage and motivate staff to deliver the tasks.
- Staff performance review conducted through 1 to 1 meeting,
- Weekly task plan reviewed and required feedback in formal communication.
- Staff capacity enhanced by identify gaps through on job training that help to deliver at their full capacity and under minimum supervision.
- Annual leave plan is effectively managed and utilized without any gaps on workplace.
- Constructive 1 to 1 meeting is conducted and documented per HR guideline.
Risk management and Audit
Ensure Statutory taxes (PIT, Pension, Withholding, etc) to the government are paid timely. VAT payments are regularly tracked and reported to USAID and follow the refunds accordingly. Closely work with project auditors, IRC internal auditors and any donor verification and manage question or concerns efficiently. Make sure exchange rate that applied on donor report is compliant. Ensure balance sheet accounts are closely monitored and corrective actions completed before final report. Ensure the IRC, donor and gov’t rules and regulations applied in the day-to-day activities.
- The monthly VAT report and related compliance requirement managed efficiently.
- All balance sheet accounts cleared timely before grant closure.
- The FY audit and verification reports did not bring significant findings.
- The monthly Statutory taxes and related requirement managed before the due date.
- The project audit and verification requirement closely monitored and efficiently managed without challenge.
- Exchange rate effectively applied as per donor and IRC requirement.
Program support – Client focused service delivery
Strengthen field office management and controls. The field finance and non-finance staff are aware of IRC, donor, and gov’t regulations while you are reviewing documents and providing financial advice and trainings when required in consultation with supervisor. Ensure all departments are supported by finance with integrity and high standards and organization resources are managed as per agreed policies and procedures. Address field office requests with priority and timely. Conduct site visits and support the team on the ground in consultation with supervisor. Make sure BVA report analysis and respective procedures are well understood by users. Also, make sure the spending plan concept, budget management, BVA clean-ups are understood and exercised as per the required standards. Envisage big pictures, pay attention to details, and focus on quality services.
- The field office finance team are well capacitated in every advice we provided and ensure every support request is addressed timely per expected standard.
- Every compliance related with assign grant effectively managed by the field finance manager without any gap.
- The shared monthly BVA analysis and respective notes are well understood by users and anticipated result achieved.
- The day-to-day activities performed in line with IRC, donor, and gov’t regulation with smooth, conducive and integrity working interaction.
- The monthly Spending plan and related analysis is well understood by all the focal points.
- Training is provided for finance and non-finance staff when required in consultation with supervisor.
- All respective points are aware donor rule and regulation.
- Online BVA functions specially BVA clean-up is performed effectively without any challenge.
- Bachelors’ degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance or master’s degree
- Minimum 4 year of relevant experience for BA holders and 3 years for Master holders.
- Proven and progress if experience in financial management of different donors in NGO setting.
- Experience in managing commercial contracts of US and European grants will be an added advantageous.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Self-motivated, energetic, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Proactive to seek to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Ability to use computer and Microsoft applications especially good knowledge of excel
- Committed to staff training and development
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter only through IRC career site:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information:
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervisors.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.