|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 1, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
FH Ethiopia is a non-governmental organization engaged in relief and development activities. At FH, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call the “The Heartbeat”. This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty. FH Ethiopia would like to invite potential candidates to apply for the Finance Manager- Accounting & Financial Management:
The Finance Manager - Accounting and Financial Management: - maintain and administer an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system (MS Dynamics) required to assure the integrity and effective performance of financial operations and prepare monthly reports. Prepare statutory audit financial statements based on the ACSO and AABE regulations. Responsible for the Project Offices internal financial controls and assist to establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and physical control procedures for financial aspects of the projects.
Key Result Area #1- Financial Management, annual planning and compliance
- Engage in FH Ethiopia consolidated annual budget preparation in collaboration with program team and different unites in FH Ethiopia HO
- Review and consolidate all annual admin/support cost budgets of FH Ethiopia departments/units
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager to develop, coordinate and implement plans for the internal controls, monitoring and reporting of all country office financial management issues
- Review and strengthen financial control system which is zero tolerance to fraud and effective management of fiduciary risk, ensuring that there is transparency and an audit trail along the financial flows
- Ensure financial transactions at Project Offices are complying to generally accepted accounting principles, IPSAS, organization standards, statutory and other donor regulations
- Ensure the adequacy and implementation of financial policies and procedures at all levels of FH Ethiopia, especially at the Project Offices and Regional Coordinating Office
- Responsible for regular checks of FH’s accounting activities in all its project offices, reviews of financial transactions to check for appropriate documentation, correct account assignment and approvals
- To ensure that adequate internal controls are in place, closely monitor all financial activities and keep the Senior Finance Manager (SFM) advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance;
- Participate in facilitating internal and statutory external audits, liaise with the International office and other stakeholders in the planning and coordination of audits. Address audit findings and recommendations in coordination with other finance staff, Africa Regional Office Finance and GSC, follow through on action plan commitments and share all through the Senior Finance Manager (SFM)
Key Result Area #2 – Financial reporting and analysis
- Responsible for preparation of quality and timely monthly FH Ethiopia MSD/Accounting reports and assist senior finance manager in responding to feedback and comments on monthly report
- Coordinate FH Ethiopia monthly closing activities in according with FH standards and reporting calendar
- Post project offices data In MS Dynamics, after ensuring the transactions are backed up with adequate documentation, appropriate coding, arithmetic accuracy and etc
- Review Bahir Dar regional office procurement documents
- Maintain data submission statistics and quality measurement reports for field office and HO data
- Ensure that sub grantee's monthly expenses are reviewed, journalized and posted and subsequent clearance is made against sub grantee's advance
- Ensure that commodity transactions are reviewed, journalized and posted
- Conduct monthly cost allocation as per FH cost allocation standards and tools
- Conduct ledger revaluation on monthly basis and check transaction currencies on regular basis
- Make sure bank reconciliations for all project offices’ bank accounts are regularly prepared, reviewed and approved.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial analysis of the country office, departments and projects and present the financial performance of the country office graphically to different users
- Review year end guidelines, communicate concerned for submission of relevant items and maintain year end closing calendar
- Responsible for preparing annual FH Ethiopia financial statement for statutory audit and HQ following different calendar
Key Result Area #3 – Internal Control and Audit Support
- Ensure that excessive cash/shortfall not seen at project offices
- Ensure that regular and unscheduled/surprise cash/coupon counts conducted at project offices and timely report discrepancies
- Ensures project level clearance of transfers to financial institutions for e-payment
- Ensure timely clearance of cheque issued to vendors and other beneficiaries and report on long outstanding uncollected cheque at project offices
- Ensure timely reconciliation of debtors and creditors accounts at project offices (staff advance, contractors and donor advances, retentions and etc.) and report on long outstanding balances on a timely manner
- Ensure that all project offices fraudulent activities are carefully watched, reported and necessary evidences are gathered and reported for fraud mitigation
- Provide trainings to non-finance staff on FH Ethiopia accounting policies, procedures and control
- Ensure proper documentation, appropriate numbering, labeling and paid stamp are done in tact for the smooth tracking of documents at project offices
- Ensure all types of policies, procedures, contract terms and conditions, donor regulatory requirements, government statutory requirements are maintained and updates are communicated and understood by project office staff and provide on job and site trainings to project office finance and admin staff
Key Result Area #4 – Monitor general ledger and maintain inter-company activities
- Review general ledgers of balance sheet accounts and make the necessary correction for overdue and abnormal balances
- Prepare schedules and reconciliations for major balance sheet accounts
- Ensure project offices prepayment accounts (office rent, coupon, spare part and etc) are amortized and balances are monitored closely
- Ensure confidentially for organization financial information and encounters
Key Result Area #5 - Leadership and Staff Management
- Support subordinates to set goals, provide guidance or direction in execution, periodically evaluate the performance based on the indicators and give timely feedback
- Provide coaching and mentoring to ensure that staff is motivated, has good relations with colleagues and are held accountable
- Identify capacity development needs for staff under supervision, plan and seek the necessary and affordable programs to enhance staff technical capacity
- Conduct capacity building training for field office staff on financial policies, internal control, MS Dynamics, report preparation for government and other stakeholders
- Conduct periodic meeting with staff under his/her direct supervision to share information, exchange updates and to discuss on issues and concerns · Monitor grants from pre-award to closeout to ensure full compliance with the policies, practices and procedures of FH and the donor.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat and safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
- Publicly endorse FH is gender sensitive and inform the mandates of the Gender & Diversity groups, gender advisors, and gender focal Points.
- Approve funding for a full slate of gender activities and implementation
- Enforce the sexual harassment policy and on field visits, raise gender issues with staff, and spend time with Gender Focal Points.
- Work with HR to make recruitment more “gender friendly”, with gender sensitive interview panels.
Safety & Security Responsibility
- Encourages compliance of Safety and Security principles and policies of the organization by all staffs;
- Takes the leadership in the management of Safety and Security in the Head Office and Projects. This includes identifying factors that increase risk, finding ways to reduce risk and planning ahead;
- Ensuring that all employees, local/foreign interns, as well as external consultants submit an updated Record of Emergency Data to their travels out of their base stations to accomplish FHE’s mission.
- Communicating with staffs in Field Offices and operational areas periodically and making sure that all staff members are aware of the safety and security procedures;
- Facilitating implementation and revision of Country Office procedures when required. This includes identifying potentially risky situations and suggesting corrective measures.
Job Level Specification
- Full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in The Heartbeat: our Values, Vision, and Purpose.
- Intermediate to Advanced skill in Excel is required; Competence in Microsoft Word and Google application suite is required.
- Thorough working knowledge of 2 CFR 200 and UN grant guidelines, as well as grant compliance principles and concepts. Competent in all job functions with high-level understanding of the industry practices, techniques and standards.
- Experience on generating reports from MS Dynamics and Power BI is highly preferred.
- Ability to analyze complex sets of data
- Experience with USAID, UN, and other public funding donors is required, but training will be provided
- Project management experience; PMD Pro Certification is a plus.
- Be willing and able to deploy to disaster and emergency response areas to provide support.
- Ability to contribute and assist in developing and reviewing procedures for the various areas of the department.
- Ability to coordinate and conduct meetings, trainings and seminars related to grants management, compliance, and donor guideline
- 5 years’ experience in a similar or senior finance position with an International NGO.
- Practical experience in using a wide range of accounting software including MS Dynamics 5.03.1, Q&A Executive on hand and fluent operation level
- Experience with financial analysis and reporting and able to perform financial analysis from complex data
- Proven expertise with different donors such as USAID/UN/OFDA/ rules and regulation on Procurement and Financial Management
- Must have a proven knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and a practical knowledge of financial systems and internal controls.
- Must have a degree in Accounting and Finance, Business Administration and related field from a recognized and certified institution or university. Having CPA, ACCA, Master degree has an added value.
- Is interested in the growth and well-being of the staff and Strong people-management and leadership skills
- Proven ability to manage, motivate and mentor staff and create a positive team environment and has team building skills
- Demonstrated ability in analyzing financial documents, projections, expenditures, and accruals.
- Proficiency in MS Dynamics, MS-Word and MS-Excel and other applications
- Must have good oral and written communication
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in spoken and written English language.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Competent candidates can submit ONLY their applications with CV’s to: email@example.com
Candidates MUST refer the position title on the subject line of their email and applications