|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 26, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Government of Ethiopia has received financial support from the World Bank to strengthen continental and regional infectious disease detection and response systems. MOH/EPHI is responsible for the administration of the project fund which needs considerable efforts to plan, administer, and follow-up. The project implementation Unit at MOH/EPHI is responsible for the administration of the project fund, and procurement activities which need considerable efforts to plan, prepare TORs, evaluate-tenders, award contracts and follow-up implementations.
For the effective implementation of this project, MOH/EPHI is looking for a Financial Management Specialist who will be responsible for the overall financial management of the project, ensure the maintenance of sound financial arrangements in consistent with agreements, manuals and project document throughout the life of the project. The Financial Management Specialist will work closely with project team and MOH/EPHI Finance and Procurement Directorate. The Financial Management Specialist will provide the overall supervision and guidance to the project and MOH/EPHI on finance issues and she/he will be the focal person responsible for finance aspects of the project. The scope of work broadly includes procurement of goods and non-consulting services, works and consultancy services,
The objective of this post is to ensure that the financial management arrangements of the projects are providing assurance that the funds of the project are used for intended purposes and that the financial management arrangements continue to be adequate. This will contribute to the success of the project as a whole. To this end, MOH/EPHI wants to recruit Financial Management Specialist for one year with possibility of extension depending on performance.Roles and responsibilities
- The Financial Management Specialist is responsible for the overall Financial Management arrangements of the projects and will ensure the maintenance of sound arrangements throughout the life of the project consistent with agreements, manuals and project document and will work closely with project team and MOH/EPHI Finance department. The Financial Management Specialist will provide the overall supervision and guidance to the project and MOH/EPHI on FM issues and she/he will be the focal person responsible for FM aspects of the project.
- The Financial Management Specialist will be accountable to Finance and Procurement Directorate and shall carry out the following activities:
- Responsible for the financial management aspects of the project liaising with the system of MOH/EPHI; Supervise, follow up and provide overall guidance on the financial management aspects of the project;
- Maintain adequate financial management arrangements including (a) budgeting, (b) flow of funds; (c) accounting policies to be followed; (d) accounting systems; (e) chart of accounts; (f) internal controls (g) reporting mechanism; (h) auditing arrangements; and (i) staffing requirements aimed at producing accurate and reliable information regarding project resources;
- Monitor the overall project performance from the financial management point of view including on the fund flow mechanisms of the Project
- Carry out prudent accounting and reporting on the use of financial resources in compliance with the requirements of the Government of Ethiopia and the World Bank.
- Use government internal control procedures and where there are gaps, design and install internal control systems to help guide the management of project to achieve program objectives. Adhere to or follow up the adherence there of the internal control procedures,
- Prepare a financial manual in accordance with the guidelines and procedures of the Government of Ethiopia and the World Bank.
- Introduce a computerized accounting system, develop code classifications and prepare periodic financial reports.
- Develop a contract management system and follow-up on contracts signed with suppliers and consultants on payments.
- Support the project in budgets and budget monitoring (Reviewing, justifying, strengthening and approving budget utilization report). Support the project in the preparation of revised project cost estimates by project categories, components and activities.
- Understand and implement World Bank disbursement procedures for the Project; Follow up on disbursement issues timely with the World Bank;
- Ensure that proper Withdrawal applications are prepared and submitted to the Bank; Reconcile regularly with the World Bank’s and the project’s records; Monitor and control all disbursements to ensure effective project implementation
- Review designated accounts and other bank accounts and ensure that Bank reconciliations on time for all accounts;
- Review World Bank disbursement database “client connection” for the project’s disbursement activities
- Prepare monthly and annual cash flow projections and monitor effective disbursement of funds. Prepare all relevant financial reports to the government and the World Bank. For the government based on the requirements of government procedures. For the Bank as per the agreements signed. The World Bank requires quarterly interim unaudited financial reports which have to be submitted to the Bank within 45 days end of the quarter. The expert will ensure that the acceptable quality reports are submitted to the Bank on time;
- Have project accounts audited- Make sure that all accounting information is made available to internal and external auditors and answer queries regarding accounting and financial records and statements; Deliver audit reports on time to the World Bank
- Maintain relevant documentation including Project documents like PAD, PIM, financing agreements, disbursement letter, etc; In addition, ensure availability of accounting documents like Payment Vouchers, Cash Receipt Vouchers and Journal Vouchers, Goods Receiving Vouchers, Goods/Store Issue Vouchers, and Goods Return Vouchers; Working formats like store control cards, bin cards and Fixed Assets registers, etc.
- Ensure that outstanding audit issues (as per audit findings) and recommendations are well taken and the appropriate corrective actions are taken
- Carry out any other tasks on financial management as may be required by the Finance and Procurement Directorate
- Provide assistance as required by other projects and government regular work report to the Finance and Procurement Directorate related to the project activities
Duration of Position
- The contract will be for one year but extendable depending on the satisfactory performance and the need as of business continuity
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- MA/BA degree in Accounting or Accounting and Finance.
- At least 10 years of working experience for graduate degree holders or 8 years for post graduate degree holders, preferably with experience in the areas of internationally financed development programs or World Bank guidelines and procedures.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft word, Excel and Peachtree Accounting software.
- Good Command of English speaking and writing
- Familiarity with the WB projects and ability to use the Bank’s online financial and procurement application systems is advantageous.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application indicating for which duty station they are applying for, non-returnable CVs and copies of all documents together with original documents to Ministry of Health Human Resource Administration Directorate within 10 working consecutive days.
FEDERAL MINSTRY OF HEALTH
HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION
BLOCK 1 FIRST FLOOR