|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 15, 2022|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
First-Aid Field Officer contributes to implementing, running, and monitoring the first-aid program(s) in cooperation with the health team, according to the objectives set out during the delegation’s annual planning process (“Planning for Results”) for a specific geographic area or field of activities. Based on her/his skills and experience, s/he has the capacity to oversee program with a degree of autonomy (e.g., delegations with remote management; delegations with no Health Coordinator).
- Understands and adheres to the 7 Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement;
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct;
- Understands the three components of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement;
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times;
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all time;
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers;
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC;
- May be asked to perform duties and tasks not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other departments when necessary.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate and support First Aid, Basic Emergency Care and Pre-hospital Emergency Care training, capacity building and support first aid & emergency response teams in the ICRC AoRs.
Reporting all FAPHEC activities in the MAD, and quarterly reporting.
- Collaborating with other team especially the PHC and Hospital team to ensure smooth patient referral pathway and continuum of care in ICRC AoRs.
- Coordinating with Ethiopian Red Cross Society in First Aid and Emergency Medical Service support in improving the level of care to the acute sick and injured.
- Collaborating with the COOPERATION department in First Aid and Prehospital support to the National Society and other Interlocutors.
- To conduct field assessments, monitoring, and evaluation for FAPHEC programs.
- To support trainers in conducting mock drill exercises involving first aiders/first responders at the communitylevel and the ER staff in the pre-hospital and hospital settings, in line with the mass casualty preparedness plan.
- To support other activities of the health department as required.
- To define items for the First aid kits and Ambulance kits for the responders, in line with their scope of practice.
- Compiling and ensuring timely submission of assessment, field trip, minutes of meetings and training reports.
- Raising First aid and Ambulance Supply Requests (SRs) to support the selected facilities
- Ensure proper communication to all the interlocutors and stakeholders.
- Implements health program(s) in his/her geographic area or field of responsibility.
- Conducts field assessments and regular field visits to monitor activities and first aid related threats to the population and facilitates field trips and communication with the local population/victims/beneficiaries.
- Strengthens local emergency preparedness and response capacities.
- Facilitates communication with first aid and emergency medical care providers and takes part in analyzing the overall emergency care system (including coping mechanisms and resources).
- Ensures proper management of information collected, produces the subsequent reports, and contributes to monitoring and evaluation of projects/activities (such as the medical activity database, stocks, and donations).
- Contributes to realistic project proposals in line with the delegation’s objectives and priorities.
- Interprets at meetings and translates documents into local languages.
- Supports the contextualization and implementation of reference documents and guidelines and/or other reference materials (on education, operations), taking into consideration the local culture, level of resilience, health care system, etc.
- Carries out logistical tasks related to first-aid medical items and organizes distribution to beneficiaries and/or contacts in the field when required.
- Liaises and builds networks with local stakeholders to facilitate communication and coordination of activities, thereby ensuring more efficient implementation of first aid programs. May represent the ICRC to beneficiaries, local authorities, humanitarian players, armed groups, etc.
Certifications / Education Required
- University degree in Medicine (medical doctor) or a degree in Nursing.
- Fluent knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Valid license to practice in Ethiopia
- Computer literacy.
Professional Experience required
- Minimum 2 years working experience working in the emergency department or as part of the ambulance teams.
- Emergency responses experience an added advantage.
- Training experiences an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of the assigned geographic area.
- Excellent connections with the local health authorities
- Experience working in NGO’s/ humanitarian organizations is an added value