|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Reference No:||REC/ 053 /21|
|Job title:||Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) Programme Manager|
|Location:||Head office - Addis Ababa|
|Reports to:||Assistant Country Director-Programme|
|Number of Posts||1 (One)|
|Closing date:||June 28, 2021|
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years across all the region of the country towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses Programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors are Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
Description of the GOAL Ethiopia country programme
In Ethiopia, GOAL has been operational since 1984, with an annual operating budget of ~€15 million and a team of more than 700 people. GOAL is one of the largest humanitarian actors in Ethiopia, annually reaching between one and two million people. GOAL is operational in approximately fifty districts including in Somali, Afar, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella regions and Addis Ababa and currently operates a multi-sector integrated humanitarian and development program, which focuses on building resilience to shocks and stresses, alleviating poverty, and responding to sudden-onset and protracted humanitarian crises.
GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS. Currently, we work with pastoralist, agropastoral, pastoral dropouts, rural small holder farmers, rural/urban youth and street children to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience in Ethiopia working closely with local communities, local government, donors and other key actors.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE
Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) is responsible to lead the Livelihoods, food and economic security sector, provide regular technical advice to programme staff on development and implementation of livelihoods, food security, economic opportunities and other thematic sectors under the unit. S/he works on coordination, budgets and procedures to ensure the implementation and success of Livelihood programs, projects and guarantee standards and procedures are in place. S/he is also responsible for technical coordination with other cross-sectoral technical and department/unit heads to ensure smooth coordination and delivery of project results. He/she is responsible for coordination with stakeholders, clusters and government at all level with regards to programs and projects. Responsible for coordination of project staff and project activities across different field offices and provide matrix management and technical leadership of his/her respective programs. Closely monitor staff members' workloads, coordinate their schedules, and plan their time off.
General Description of Functional Relationships
The position holder will report to ACDP, who is based in Addis Ababa as part of the National Programme team. S/he will liaise with and provide regular advice and manage livelihoods, food security and economic opportunity programme and/or projects. The position holder also liaise with other sectors’ coordinators and provides regular advice on agriculture based nutrition intervention, Emergency Agriculture response, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Market Systems Development, labor market and enterprise development projects. The position holder may also be asked to liaise with and support other Programme staff as directed by the immediate supervisor.
Program design and quality implementation
· Lead the Livelihood and economic opportunity sector, provide regular technical advice to GOAL country programme on development and implementation of relevant programme both in the humanitarian emergency as well as development settings, which Market Systems development, integrates Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Food Security projects;
· Lead assessment at community level (including Early Warning information) to identify the community need, assess availability of resource, and lead the design, implementation and monitoring of projects contributing to resilient livelihoods.
· Develop project proposals and concept papers based on assessment results and community needs
· Ensures that cross cutting themes are well mainstreamed in designing and implementation of livelihood projects.
· Ensure that the beneficiary households and communities are participating as equal partners in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects;
· Follow up on key issues at the national office level to ensure a smooth implementation in the field including supporting with recruitment of Livelihood key staff as required.
· Guide the teams in developing tools for day-to-day implementation, ensures compliance with established guidelines and standards and modalities.
· Ensure the livelihoods programme, Operational Research projects and short-term emergency projects resources are utilized as per donors’ and GOAL Ethiopia’s guideline and requirements
Networking and Representation
· Ensure effective working relationship with internal support functions (Finance, HR, Logistics) to ensure the smooth running of the programme.
· Network and work in partnership with likeminded organisations and other stakeholders (Government and private sector) for effective implementation of livelihood projects
· Develop and maintain positive working relationships with national, regional, and local authorities and sector bureaus, international and national organisation, as well as technical focal points in food security & livelihoods.
· Staying updated on all relevant political and policy issues related to the country and the region as far as FSL is concerned
· Representing GOAL in relevant forums, eg. Clusters, coordination structures with Government, donors and NGOs.
· Prepare communication materials like case studies and share with communication teams to profile GOAL Livelihood works in Ethiopia.
Monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning, reporting
· Provide technical support on developing new MEAL tools to be used by the team to ensure that relevant information is being collected to inform strategy and implementation, to ensure accountability and learning as well as quality donor reporting.
· Closely monitor programme implementation through regular field visits and provide necessary back-stopping and or distance management as required.
· Conduct regular field visit to programme/project areas to follow up project implementation progress, provide necessary back-stopping and/ or distance management as required.
· Prepare and timely submit internal and donor report.
· Ensure that there is proper documentation and consolidation of tools, best practices and lessons learned on Livelihoods, Emergency Agriculture, Food Security, Market Systems Development, and DRR programmes and projects and share the lessons internally and with stakeholders (Government, INGOs and donors)
Staff management and support
· Lead Performance management of staff reporting to this position, according to the GOAL Ethiopia standards and procedures.
· Support in identifying capacity building needs, train GOAL country programme staff and stakeholders on GOAL Livelihoods, Food Security, DRR, and Resilience strategies and tools
· Familiarize self, understand, and implement, according to area of responsibility, GOAL’s policies and procedures on mainstreaming of Gender, HIV/AIDS, social inclusion and Child Protection.
· Ensure that needs and roles of women, men and PLWHAs is fully recognized in the planning and implementation.
· Ensures gender, HIV/AIDS, child protection and inclusion is effectively mainstreamed throughout the programme activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
· Work on increasing the sensitivity and awareness of staff towards Gender, HIV/AIDS, social Inclusion and Child Protection issues.
· Act as a role model and provide feedback to encourage other in supporting equity and diversity principals, and the accommodation of other differences in the workplace. Models the flexibility required for working in a diverse environment.
Familiarize self and understand to GOAL Donor Compliance issues, specifically to the terms and conditions of the Donor the programme is working on and comply with same in area of responsibility.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY/DUTIES (detailed list of tasks and outputs categorized by “daily” “weekly” “monthly” or any other category which fits the role)
· Skill on value chine, Village Saving and Lending (VSL), and Farmer to Farmer Extension approaches.
· Knowledge on Ethiopia Agriculture Policy
· Knowledge on Improved agricultural technologies and Business Development Skill
· Very good communication skill
· Good writing and speaking of English and Amharic language. Very good skill working on Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint.
· Good knowledge on budget planning and preparation
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other rules and regulation of the organization. GOAL is strongly committed not to harm the people under its care.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
· Masters or Bachelor Degree in Agriculture, Rural Development, Natural Science or other related development study, with work experience of 8 years for Masters and 10 years for Bachelor degree. And have minimum 4-year experience on managerial and advisory position in an International Non-Governmental Organisation
· Field experience, traveling to field sites and experience on regular travel and communication with field sites
· Solid experiences in market systems development, value chain development and working with private sectors
· Experience working on budget using Microsoft excel
· Good experience in the use and development of a wide range of Participatory Rural Learning and Action skills
Desirable quality, skill and competence
· Excellent knowledge of national and international development policy.
· Very good knowledge of household food security, market systems and value chain programming.
· Well established knowledge on improved agricultural technologies and business development skill.
· Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of Livelihoods, economic opportunities, and Agriculture and better knowledge of the following sectoral areas - WASH, Health, nutrition, Gender, Child Protection and Community Participation.
· Proven experience in quality report writing and proposal/concept note development.
· Good programme finance management skill.
· Wide ranging knowledge and experience of M&E tools, systems and approaches.
· Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
· Experience in training/workshop facilitation.
· Flexible and creative approach, highly motivated and able to take the initiative and work unsupervised.
Note: This description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
REMUNERATION and BENEFITS:
- GOAL will pay a competitive basic salary based on the salary grading with addition benefits.
- A chance to develop tangible experience.
- Being part of a team who continue to make a real difference to the lives of the most vulnerable people.
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non - returnable application with CV for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with the title & Duty station need to be written in the application letter and/or subject of the email. Applicants can apply using the following option.
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process