|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 27, 2020|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
FEWS NET Ethiopia Food Security Specialist (FSS): Advertisement
The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) is an integrated set of activities funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) intended to provide timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis. FEWS NET’s work is implemented across several pillars by a team of partners that includes Chemonics International (Chemonics). Chemonics implements FEWS NET’s integrated emergency food insecurity analysis through a Washington-based technical office and more than 20 field offices.
Chemonics seeks applications from qualified and experienced professionals to fill one full-time Food Security Specialist (FSS) position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The FSS will assist the Country Representative (CR) to provide technical and administrative leadership, including supporting the collection of, directly collecting, and analyzing collected information relevant for acute food insecurity analysis and associated early warning and decision support.
Minimum qualifications for the Ethiopia FSS position include:
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required; local language skills are desirable
- Bachelor’s degree required in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as agriculturaleconomics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography; Master’s degree isdesirable. Significant, directly related professional experience can substitute for education experience.
- At least two years of relevant experience in food security information systems, food security analysis,early warning, or other related fields; past experience working with United Nations agencies and/or non-governmental organizations is desirable
- Good leadership and ability to work independently, when necessary; strong organization skills and strongability to work in a multidisciplinary team from various nationalities
- Strong analytical and report-writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to interact positively with variousfood security stakeholders, demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with remotecolleagues
- Ability to effectively liaise with government, NGOs and other relevant stakeholders
- Excellent computer skills (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint); GIS applications and mapping skills desirable