|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 31, 2020|
|Category|| Social Sciences |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is a national human rights institution established by Ethiopian Parliament as per the Federal Constitution and responsible for the promotion and protection of human rights in the country. (Establishment Proclamation No. 210/2000 issued on the 4th of July 2000)
EHRC is looking for qualified candidates to serve as Gender and Advocacy Advisor.
The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) and United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women) have recently signed a Letter of Agreement (LOA) and a project agreement to promote women’s political rights in Ethiopia and preventive measures against violence against women in politics.
The overall objective of the project is to promote women’s political rights including the promotion of affirmative action as embedded in the FDRE Constitution and national and international human rights instruments that Ethiopia is party to. It also aims to promote preventive measures to Violence against Women in Elections with the aim of supporting women’s equal participation and representation in politics. Based on the scope of work outlined below, the Incumbent will oversee and manage the implementation, monitor progress, document results and prepare reports of the project, in addition to planning, developing and overseeing the implementation of advocacy work.
Scope of work:
- Prepare and see to the production and printing of targeted advocacy materials to promote women’s political rights, gender responsive election monitoring, and women’s rights of protection from VAW in election;
- Support the translation of user-friendly and gender sensitive fact-book on participation of women in electoral processes;
- Facilitate the production and dissemination of advocacy materials and knowledge products, including TV and radio programs and spots that advocate for enhanced women political participation;
- Identify and follow up capacity building activities including trainings that aim to build the capacity of EHRC staff members and CSOs as well as political parties to advocate for women’s rights of political participation and ensure gender responsive election observation and monitoring;
- Facilitate the undertaking of rapid assessment on challenges faced by female politicians focusing on violence against women in politics/election both offline and on social media and organize awareness raising interventions to prevent VAW in election;
- Develop tailor-made progress tracking mechanisms and monitoring tools;
- Follow up and monitor the overall progress of the work, see to the successful implementation of the project and compile reports;
- Prepare project progress tracking and monitoring tools;
- Monitor and follow up activities and reports.
In carrying out his/her tasks, the Incumbent should:
- Ensure alignment of planned activities with EHRC’s mandate and overall strategic directions; and the objectives of the projects.
- Ensure that the project and planned activities are conducted using a human rights-based approach and are gender sensitive.
- Build capacity of relevant EHRC’s staff and ensure sustainability and ownership of the project’s interventions.
- Consider the ever-changing context of the country and the socio-political dynamics.
- Ensure coherence with other projects being implemented by EHRC in relation to the electoral process, and human rights monitoring, with special focus on women and children’s rights monitoring.
- Engage with key stakeholders, including GOs and CSOs, and ensure coordination and linkage with other projects and planned activities by CSOs to avoid duplication and enhance synergy and impact.
REPORTS TO: Senior Advisor Women and Children
DURATION: 9 months with a possibility of extension (full time job)
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters’ degree in gender, human rights or other social sciences;
- 10 years’ experience in promoting and advocating the rights of women or other vulnerable groups out of which 5 years are dedicated to experience in coordinating projects;
- Experience in designing and preparing promotional and advocacy messages/materials;
- Experience in guiding and following up the production and dissemination/transmission of promotional and advocacy messages/materials as well as media programs;
- Sound understanding of gender and development issues in Ethiopia;
- Excellent communication, presentation, report writing and analytical skills;
- Promotes the vision, mission, values and strategic goals of the Commission;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Substantive knowledge on gender mainstreaming and Human Rights based Approach.
- Female candidates are encouraged.
- Excellent written and spoken Amharic and English. Written and spoken skills in other local languages of Ethiopia will be an advantage.
Candidates should write a covering letter, explaining why they are the right person for the job with updated CV should be sent to the following email address: EHRCjobs@gmail.com
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview