|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 25, 2020|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
- Policy Support and Technical Advice;
- Support the Implementation of the Regional Project;
- Capacity Development and Knowledge Management;
- Partnerships and Resource Mobilization.
- Provide technical advice and policy support to REC and the AU integrating gender equality and women empowerment global standards into their, policies, procedures and plans;
- Support the RECs and AU in undertaking the Gender Equality Award for Public Institutions providing technical advice throughout the process.
- Provide technical advice to support the implementation of Global Regional agreements instruments on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (UNSCR 1325 and others);
- Conduct analysis of data, case evidence and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes to support policy development and innovation on gender equality, women political empowerment and women leadership;
- Contribute to development of guidance in the specific thematic area, and related tools for the implementation of global policy standards, including coordinating testing and rolling out of tools and methodologies aligned with the UNDP Gender Equality Award for Public Institutions Take part in the process of analyzing, improving and adapting gender policies for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas based on policy initiatives designed;
- Provide context input to support the quality assurance of policy services and foster policy innovation in the area of gender equality and the empowerment of women to enhance programme delivery;
- Draft and aid the development of briefings and speeches, as applicable for regional specific meetings, regional and global events related to the project including speech and talking points for intergovernmental meeting, speech and talking points for the Team Leader or the RH Director etc.
- Support to develop and review of project annual work plans to ensure compliance with UNDP programme goals and results-based indicators;
- Support day to day planning, implementation and monitoring aspects of the project operations and personnel;
- Support to prepare monthly, quarterly and annual progress report as per UNDP guidelines and organize quarterly progress, mid-year and annual reviews;
- Support the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents, including donor reports;
- Support in Identifying, building and managing relationships with regional partners (AU, RECs, CSOs) and sister agencies as necessary and support their onboarding and implementation of activities as per partnership agreements;
- Strengthen the capacity of RECs to deliver on gender equality and women’s empowerment results.
- In the context of UNDP as the SDG integrator, support the development of strategic partnership and alliances with other UN Agencies, regional partners, academic and CSO’s organizations;
- Contribute to the negotiations in establishing such partnerships, drafting of agreements and monitoring their implementation;
- Ensure close co-operation with other UNDP teams; develop alliances and working partnerships (thematic, advocacy, regional resource facilities, etc.) in support to the project implementation;
- Support in undertaking gender related research and analysis and draft materials to support mobilizing, fostering and strengthening strategic partnerships with regional partners, UN entities (UN Women, UNECA) and other relevant partners;
- Strive to maintain relationships with UNDP’s partners including donors, regional partners (AU, RECs, CSOs) UN Sister Agencies, as it pertains to the implementation of the project;
- Participate in relevant regional meetings including the regional sub cluster meetings on gender as per guidance of the Team Leader.
- Coordinate capacity development plan design and implementation;
- Facilitate production of knowledge products in the relevant subject matters;
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to project goals;
- Ensure that this knowledge is documented and systematized and fed back into project implementation including by contributing to networks both within UNDP and beyond;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Promote knowledge and experience exchange with national and international entities implementing incentives programmes based on global standards and with institutions participating in the Gender Equality Awards for Public institutions;
- Disseminate project reports and respond to queries from concerned stakeholders;
- Oversee the exchange and sharing of experiences and lessons learned with relevant projects.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and capacity development and interagency collaboration and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
- Knowledge of gender issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis of projects from a gender perspective.
- Knowledge of various programme information for research to provide recommendation and guidance to management.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Ability to prepare quality reports and briefs.
- Minimum Master’s Degree in gender and development, development studies, public policy, human rights, economics, business administration or any other social science discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in designing and managing complex multi-stakeholder, multi-year projects on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in developing Countries;
- Proven track record of gender analysis and gender mainstreaming in project and institutions as well as experience working with regional organizations, national government, private sectors, CSOs, NGOs, and other key stakeholders in Africa;
- Experience in designing / implementing Capacity development and learning plans on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Sound knowledge on key gender approaches including gender institutional accountability to deliver on GEWE;
- Experience in, and ability to coordinate and interact at professional level with partners including Donors, UN Agencies and government partners;
- Current Knowledge and understanding of the latest development and evidence on GEWE in Africa.
- Fluency in English and French, both written and oral. Working knowledge of another UN language preferably Portuguese (relevant to the region in which this position is based) is an asset.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.