|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 27, 2019|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Contract |
About Digital Green
Digital Green is an international non-government organization that empowers smallholder farmers to lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the collective power of technology and grassroots-level partnerships. We join forces with governments, private agencies and, most importantly, rural communities themselves to co-create digital solutions that help smallholder farmers increase productivity and income. In Ethiopia, Digital Green is working in four regions (Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, SNNP) in introducing and scaling video-extension approach, in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture and Regional Bureaus of Agriculture and Natural Resource. For more information, please visit Digital Green’s website:www.digitalgreen.org.
Digital Green is seeking to recruit a qualified Gender Specialist for its core program - Digital Agricultural Advisory Services (DAAS). DAAS (also known as FarmStack) will be implemented over the next five years in the four Regional States with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and DFID. FarmStack provides a comprehensive solution in enabling public and private organizations work to support smallholder farmers by means of better coordination and integration of approaches, systems, and knowledge base through a digital platform. FarmStack will provide tailored content across multiple dissemination channels (e.g., video, IVR, SMS, radio) by linking data from public, private and civil society partners across the value chain.
The Gender Specialist will serve as a technical lead in supporting gender-intentional planning and implementation of initiatives that will enhance gender equality in accessing and utilizing appropriate agricultural information via digital technologies. The Gender Specialist will be responsible for building Digital Green’s and partners’ capacities in understanding and applying gender approaches, tools and best practices. The Gender Specialist will be tasked with ensuring that both women and men issues are effectively incorporated into the operations of FarmStack. It is envisioned that this will initially be achieved through hands-on support that will require outstanding skills in planning and mainstreaming gender issues in the project. It also requires the ability to facilitate and influence change through training, coaching and high-level interpersonal communication skills. The Gender Specialist will report to FarmStack Director and will work closely with the Digital Green team and consortium members. The Gender Specialist will also support other Digital Green programs in Ethiopia.
Support gender mainstreaming in all aspects of Digital Green’s digital platform (FarmStack) and other Programs in collaboration with Digital Green’s technical team and partners:
- Develops appropriate strategies for mainstreaming gender within FarmStack and other Digital Green projects; ensure implementation of the strategies and measure the results achieved.
- Develops and designs concepts, and inputs to support the operationalization of gender mainstreaming strategies and plans within FarmStack and other DG projects
- Participates in the projects’ detailed implementation plans at the start-up phase and in on-going and annual reviews, to ensure gender responsive project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Devise appropriate methodologies for FarmStack engagement in addressing women’s access to and use of digital agricultural information to benefit from the platform
- Conducts assessment and analysis at the community level to regularly feed into strategy/approach revisions
- Utilize current MIS Software such as COCO (Connect OnLine Connect Offline) and Unique Farmer IDs for reporting and gauging project progress in addressing gender issues
- Work collaboratively with DG team members in Ethiopia and globally to facilitate gender mainstreaming in all aspects of FarmStack as well as other Projects of Digital Green
Capacity Building and Technical Assistance:
- Conducts capacity assessment and based on the results, leads the development and facilitation of training on inclusive gender approaches within FarmStack and other Digital Green interventions
- Develops and implements follow-up coaching plans to sustain staff expertise and commitment to apply gender inclusive approaches
- Works with the relevant project and government structures to facilitate gender inclusive approaches while developing and framing contents and disseminating the same to the farming community
- Lead and provide technical assistance on gender to consortium members and partners
- Work closely with the M&E team in the effort to measure impact of FarmStack and other projcts using gender disaggregated indicators, and document lessons and best practices
Digital Green is a great place to work and prides itself on a competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Digital Green is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to religion, sex, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Masters Degree in Gender Studies, Agriculture, Rural Development, Social Science, and other related fields
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in the agricultural & rural development sector
- Experience in working as gender specialist, gender manager, or any other senior gender related roles
- Experience in working with consortium partners, government bodies and the farming communities
- NGO experience is of a great advantag
Skills and Competencies
- Coaching and training/facilitation skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Team player and has requisite social skills to build cordial relationships with internal / external stakeholders
- Strong work ethic and self-driven: displays the ability to take timely actions and effectively accomplish work results with limited supervision and guidance
- Willingness to take on challenging tasks/ assignments beyond immediate responsibility
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Intsersted and qualified applicants cann apply through the following link
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted?;.l.