|Location||Head Office, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 7, 2021|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Job Advertisement- Internal and External
Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is looking for qualified candidates to fill the following positions.
Purpose of the Job:
The general legal counselor is responsible to oversee legal aspects of the Commission and provides advisory services to the management that deal with various matters, particularly legal issues.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with The Commission to ensure coverage of all legal work, among others, material disputes, HR legal matters, commercial contracts, acquisitions and projects undertaken.
- Executes and provides advisory for transactions and cases in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensures proper representation of the Commission at the court of law, arbitration panel or quasi-judicial organ, makes sure cases are successfully defended and timely remedial action is taken to next level of court structure as required
- When required to use the services of external counsel, effectively manages the process of engaging external counsel, including providing effective instructions to external counsel and negotiating appropriate fee structures for the specific transactions / cases in question.
- Promote alternative dispute resolution as a means of quick settlement of disputes.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external lawyers agreeing fee structures, billing procedures and levels of service.
- To provide, where appropriate, periodic reports to management on claims, disputes and relevant legal developments
- Reviews and provides professional consultation to relevant teams on complaints and grievances brought by suppliers, contractors, consultants and other as the case may be which has a direct and/or potential legal implication
- Takes part in disciplinary hearing and gives expert advice on the appropriate action case by case basis
- Review and responds to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and employee code of conduct by evaluating concerns, recommending an investigation or applicable action and monitoring complaints throughout the process to include closure and follow up
- Drafting, negotiating, amending and reviewing agreements/contracts and other documents to ensure that the Commission’s interest is protected.
- Attend to legal correspondence, pleadings or orders promptly and proactively ensure all the required documentation is in place.
- Perform other duties as required
REPORT TO: Senior Director, Resources Management
Qualifications and Experience:
- LLB in law with six (6) years of experience in providing legal counseling services to organizations and Demonstrated experience and diverse knowledge on employment, acquisitions and other related laws.
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of Amharic and English is required.
- Knowledge of other local languages is advantageous.
Interested candidates should write a covering letter, explaining why they are interested in this role, why they are the right person for the job with a recent CV which should be sent to the following email address: HRM@ehrc.org.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview and written exam
The selection process will be solely based on interview and written exam
Internal successful candidates will be required to resign from their current position to take up the new role.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday14th of July, 2021.
Note: Use " General Legal Counselor " as the subject line of your email !