|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 31, 2019|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Ethiopian Diabetes Association (EDA) is a charity association registered under the CSA as a local association with the aim of improving the lives of Ethiopians living with diabetes. The Ethiopian Diabetes Association has more than 30 000 members in its 60 branches throughout the country.
In support of the Association’s mission, the office raises awareness, support and funds for annual operating support, acquisitions, education, sponsorship programs, and capital initiatives. The Association has received a generous gift of land from the Ethiopian Federal government for the construction of a Diabetes treatment, education, and resource center in Addis Ababa. This position requires to work with current and future supporters, the Board and President of the Association to raise support for building of the center.
The Association is currently seeking applicants for the position of:
Serving as the senior development professional for the Association, the General Manager (GM) provides leadership and direction for the Ethiopian Diabetes Association overall functions with focused attention on fundraising efforts. Reporting to the President of the Association, the GM works to develop a comprehensive strategic fundraising plan to meet short and long-term fundraising goals and in implementing strong programs that elicit philanthropic support from individuals, organizations, and corporations, government and NGOs. The GM also works closely with the members of the Board of Trustees to achieve annual fundraising goals and to build and maintain a robust development program to fund Association programs and priorities. The GM is responsible for overseeing the execution of all fundraising activities, including identification, qualification, and assignment of individual, corporate, and foundation prospects; developing and implementing strategies for donor cultivation and approach; the solicitation of major gifts; the oversight and nurturing of development staff; and management of all future capital campaign activities. He/she will also be responsible to oversee and follow the implementation of existing and future projects as stipulated in the various bilateral and multilateral agreements. The GM serves as a member of the Senior Management Team and is the liaison to philanthropic community in consultation with the President and Board of the EDA.
Duration of employment:
- 2 years with possibility of extension
- Addis Ababa with some travels to the regions.
Required professional requirements, work experience and competencies
- A Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in health or social sciences from an accredited institution is required.
- A broad and deep background in fundraising with a demonstrated track record of successful fundraising for a young, not-for-profit organization, or other environment of similar complexity with multiple stakeholders.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible development leadership positions, which includes work in all functional areas, including major gifts, corporate and foundation relations, and leadership of capital campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to provide management oversight, leadership, and direction with at least five years of significant supervisory experience.
- Particular strength in developing strategic and comprehensive fundraising plans, executing against these plans to achieve goals and objectives, developing fundraising strategies, and creating and managing a budget is critical. Experience working directly with the senior levels of an organization is very important.
- Must have hands-on major and leadership gift experience, including cultivation through solicitation and stewardship as well as experience working with planned giving, grant writing for foundations and corporations, membership dues, annual fund strategies for grooming the next generation of leadership donors.
- Direct knowledge of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes preferred.
- Ability to develop trust and strong collaborative working relationships. Experience nurturing and motivating high level volunteers and expressing appreciation for their role in building an effective development network.
- Knowledge of computer word processing and fundraising database record keeping.
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language
- Strong organizational skills and the flexibility to work long and irregular hours
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communications skills
- Ability and experience in networking
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and produce quality results quickly
- Critical thinking, problem solving, accuracy and attention to detail
- An interest in capacity building and communications
Qualified women and persons living with diabetes are encouraged to apply.
To apply for the position please send or e-mail a complete CV, a cover letter specifically addressing qualifications for the employment opportunity, and contact information for three professional references. Information can be e-mailed to ethiojobs.net no later than 10 working days from this announcement.