Generalist Field Officer 2
|Location||Nekemte, East Wollega, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 4, 2021|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Generalist Field Officer (12 months Fixed Term contract) based in Nekemte, East Wollega.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Representation, Communication and Networking
- Supports the Delegate in the establishment and development of a network of key interlocutors (civil authorities, police, civil society, NGOs, UN, etc) present in zones of responsibility
- Ensures that the list of key interlocutors is kept up-to-date.
- Represents and promotes the ICRC regarding its activities with all relevant interlocutors including through operational dissemination sessions when appropriate.
- Provides media analysis relevant to the zones of responsibilities
- Informs and advises the Delegate on the general situation in the zones of responsibility and assists in obtaining security guarantees for the deployment of ICRC teams in the zones of responsibility.
- Contributes to, maintains, and develops a network of key interlocutors for enquiries of general situation.
- Support the Delegate in the dissemination to ICRC teams about application of the security rules and how to deal with security and behaviour matters in the zones of responsibilities.
- Ensures good working relations with the ERCS in zones of responsibilities through regular visits, in close collaboration with the Delegate and Cooperation department
- Follows up on the ERCS financial settlement procedures (particularly those programs under Cooperation budget) to make sure all invoices/receipts/supporting documents are approved/valid/according to the joint program planning.
- Supports the delegate in the documentation of PCP (Protection of Civilian Population) events in relation to conflicts and intercommunal violence, through interpretation during individual/group interviews with IDPs, reporting, and preparation of PCP reports.
- Contributes to the analysis of the protection environment in areas of operation based on participation in field activities, through a network of interlocutors, and monitoring of public sources (e.g. social media)
- Contributes to the socio-political and cultural analysis of the IDP contexts, helping to identify the most vulnerable cases and most urgent needs of the affected population (both host community and IDPs).
- Guarantees a thorough follow up of the most vulnerable cases identified and supported by the ICRC through cash assistance, referral to health centres or relevant stakeholders, dignity kits.
- Provides support to EcoSec, Health, Wathab and Protection activities where/when required in the zones of responsibilities (assessment, networking, distribution etc.).
- Supports other departments to identify and map interlocutors and humanitarian actors relevant to their work in zones of responsibility or interest to the ICRC.
Analysis and synthesis
- Contributes to the analysis of the humanitarian situation and security environment in zones of responsibility
- Contributes, with the assistance of the Delegate, to the preparation of institutional reports, minutes of meetings, key points, and other ad hoc written reporting.
- Contributes to the planning of field trips.
- Assists in the administrative preparation of field trips and respect the appropriate deadlines.
- In collaboration with support departments, organize and follow the logistics necessary for field trips (materials, vehicles, IT, etc.).
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development
- University degree in Social Science or similar (development, humanities, gender studies, evaluation, social mobilization, or social development)
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in similar fields
- 1–2 years’ programme/project experience with national/international organizations or other humanitarian agency or in the private sector
- Very good command of written and spoken English, Oromiffa, and Amharic. Other language skills an asset
- Very good knowledge of the region (geography, culture, politics). Knowledge of other operational areas a strong asset.
- Solid understanding of federal/regional affairs
- Very good computer and MS Office proficiency
- Valid manual driving license (3rd grade/Public 1/Auto)
- Availability and flexibility regarding frequent field missions to key areas
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR you can submit in Nekempte Sub delegation OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: 12 August 2021
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.