|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 30, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Urgent Vacancy Announcement (School year 2022-23)
‘Kelem International School (KIS) is a pre-KG to Grade 10 school that was originally established under the Swedish Embassy in Ethiopia in 1946 but reopened as an independent not-for-profit school in July 2019.
We are currently seeking a Learning Support Assistant for the current academic year 2022-23.
Our vision is to become a collaborative center of learning in Ethiopia, where each and every child becomes a confident and self-realized global citizen. Our mission is to facilitate the realization of every child’s full potential and develop resilient, curious, open-minded and reflective students who are able to express themselves fully and effectively.
We wish to enable our students to think critically, analyze and creatively solve problems to be adaptive in a rapidly changing world. Our school fosters in the minds of our students that learning is a life-long endeavor, setting the example by the continued professional development of our teachers and staff.
Our school aims to produce responsible and compassionate global citizens, with respect and recognition of the rich heritage of our host country, Ethiopia.
Currently the student-body of 200 represents 28 different nationalities. Kelem International School follows the Finnish curriculum blended with international standards for G1-8 and International Early Years Curriculum (IEYC) for KG. We are in process of being accredited by Cognia and expect to be fully accredited by June 2022.
Fully embrace our school’s mission, vision, and values and promote them to students, staff, other faculty, parents, and members of the outside community. To manage, develop and to take direct responsibility for the provision of learning support in the school.
Teaching and Learning
- Conduct educational observations evaluations.
- Develop and implement Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) for students in cooperation with class teachers, parents and the school counselor (where appropriate).
- Provide in-class support and individual or small group lessons for students with different educational needs.
- Support and train class teachers to differentiate work and activities in the general classroom for students with different educational needs.
- Model and support the school’s approach to rigorous academic instruction combined with instilling and reinforcing behaviors and values that lead to academic and life success
- Be part of a team developing, training and teaching the social and emotional learning curriculum.
Improvement Plan and Policies
- Input into the revision of the strategic plan, and use the plan for guidance on development of the learning support programme.
- Develop and manage the learning support policy and procedure in close cooperation with senior leadership, and inform teachers of any changes or developments.
- Implement the day-to-day operation of Learning Support Policy and Procedures.
- Implement the child protection policy and be a member of the child protection team.
Recording and Assessment
- Tracking progress and maintaining records of students in the Learning Support program.
- Evaluating progress of students on IEPs
- To be the first point of contact for parental queries and enquiries about additional support needs matters in the school. To encourage and foster good lines of communication with parents in relation to additional support needs.
- Liaise with other schools to ensure continuity of support and learning when transferring pupils with additional support needs.
- Manage special needs support staff to ensure they work effectively with their designated students with different needs.
- Develop links with other SEN professionals, schools and agencies for possible referral and advice.
- Give advice to the Admissions Officer about enrollment of new pupils with special learning needs.
- Identify resources needed to meet the needs of pupils with additional support needs.
- To attend Instructional Leadership meetings and other staff meetings and briefings etc and keep colleagues informed of additional support needs matters.
- Participate in learning communities to plan, problem solve, and support one another on an ongoing basis
- Implement the school values, discipline procedures and school culture initiatives
- Collaborate with other members of the school’s leadership team to create and sustain programs for students and families that recognize and celebrate achievement and continuous progress
Reports to: Learning Support Head
Coordinates with: Team Leaders, Teachers, Teaching Assistants, Counselor
Working Hours: Monday - Thursday (7:30 am - 4:30 pm) and Fridays (from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm).