|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 27, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Strategic Leadership, Management, Engagement & Influence (30%)
- Provide strategic humanitarian, emergency & fragile context programming leadership to WV Ethiopia
- Position World Visions’ Disaster Management (DM) as a competent the best and preferred humanitarian agency among stakeholders.
- Commit to deliver on WV humanitarian goals in line with the Strategy “Our Promise”
- Support and advise the National Director and the Senior Leadership on Disaster Management policies, processes and tools as they relate to WV Ethiopia’s Category I, II & III emergencies.
- Lead the establishment and functioning of disaster preparedness strategy that is anchored in the NO strategy including disaster preparedness action plans and streamlining them in technical projects and annual AP plans, updating Disaster Management scorecard, ensuring effective functioning of an Integrated Disaster Management Team/Committee, including its capacity development.
- Provide continuous and timely early warning information to the leadership timely decision
Technical Leadership & Capacity Building (20%)
- Ensure WV has the knowledge, skills, resources, tools and capacity to maximize DRR, preparedness, response and recovery at a community level.
- Lead the implementation of the disaster management operations in line with National Office Strategy, regional DM priorities and global strategy, standards, and Our Promise
- Grow World Vision Ethiopia’s capacity to respond to Category 1, II & III emergencies.
- Ensure that national emergency response and disaster mitigation capacity, and a talent pool of on-site Category II and III project managers are available for immediate response.
- Collaborate with other departments and EARO to make timely recommendations regarding declaration and undeclaration of emergency responses.
- Provide management advice and technical support to DM staff and DM Committees (on site if necessary) in the design, documentation, approval, implementation, management, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of DM projects according to partnership and donor standards.
- Lead, if necessary on-site, Cat II and III emergency responses
Quality assurance, effectiveness and impact (15%)
- Provide leadership, oversight & insight to category I, II or III emergencies in line with industry standards to ensure positive impact on child well being
- Champion stewardship of resources in disaster responses
- In consultation with the Regional Disaster Management Director, ensure effective monitoring and evaluation, including quality assurance for all WV Ethiopia humanitarian interventions in line with WV Disaster Management Standards and Emergency Management System and provide appropriate support as needed
- Ensure the highest standards of quality and accountability through compliance with World Vision policies and standards and international standards for emergency response, disaster mitigation, rehabilitation and development;
Ensure all the projects proposals, reports, integrated audits, and response evaluations are reviewed at a proper level within the office and appropriate actions are implemented, to ensure impact, accountability, and compliance.
Develop and promote strong effective external partnerships and collaboration to support change and resource acquisition (15%)
- Grow and diversify WV Ethiopia’s humanitarian resource portfolio
- Grow WV Ethiopia’s local resource mobilization portfolio for disaster management
- Enhance WV Ethiopia’s visibility and influence in the INGO humanitarian sector and with donors such as US Govt’s BHA, EU and others in-country and more strategically preposition the NO as a key player in the humanitarian field.
- Represent WV Ethiopia, engage and build strategic alliances with the government of the country, major donor agencies, WV Partnership, non-governmental agencies, churches and media around DM;
- Coordinate appropriate advocacy strategies to raise awareness of and advocate for change in key issues related to child protection during crises, within the specific context;
Stewardship excellence, risk management and business continuity planning
- Ensure effective stewardship and accountability of WV Ethiopia’s DM resources, finances and people, consistent with performance standards established by the NO.
- Promote and model high level of transparency, integrity and zero tolerance to fraud
- Have overall responsibility for assessment of DM risks and the development of DM risk management planning, business continuity planning, elections response planning etc to mitigate risks to NO operations, staff, assets and programmes, during crises
- Review staff & asset safety plans and protocols (Manuals, Disaster Preparedness Plan, and Risk Assessments at National, Regional and Programme Office levels) and ensure understanding and compliance by all staff and visitors.
Ensure DM team compliance to the country’s DM & Government standards and laws for WV Ethiopia operations in the country.
Spiritual leadership (5%)
- Promote WVs Vision, Mission, Core Values and key Partnership Standards and Practices among the DM staff and partners and ensure these are the core foundation of WV Ethiopia’s DM responses and work
- Ensure that the DM team has a high-quality Christian commitment, Faith and Development engagement and operations plan that is appropriate for different DM responses and work;
- Model and promote a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships, and provide spiritual guidance to staff on the Vision, Mission and WV core Values;
- Participate in and lead regular devotional meetings.
- Demonstrate Christ-centered servant leadership amongst WV Ethiopia staff and diverse partners;
- Demonstrate strong conviction and ability to work in ecumenical and inter-faith contexts;
Cash programming and Digitalization (LMMS) in HEA programmes (5%)
- Grow cash programming and digitalization in HEA programmes
- Developing multi-year strategy and annual business plan
- Grow WV influence and portfolio in the Cash Working Group and other national coordination arrangements, if possible lead or co-lead working group or task teams.
- Ensure technical support is delivered to all WVE cash programmes, including support on cash feasibility assessments, Market assessments, determination of response options, delivery mechanisms and modalities
KNOWLEDGE/QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE ROLE
Required Professional Experience
- Expertise of managing a portfolio of projects covering a range of sectors.
- Wide range of experience of working with offices functions of finance, procurement, human resources, and others
- Experience of managing multi million project with and a variety of team of experts
- Strong people management skills with experience leading teams
- Good grasp of safeguarding/child protection standards
Required Education, training, license, registration, and certification
- Post graduate degree or relevant technical program or leadership training (eg development studies, Grant Management, Project management cycle, etc.)
- 10 years post qualification experience in humanitarian emergency response and multi sectoral grant management
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
- Ability to foster commitment and build capacity among activity staff and in-country actors to SBC integration and empowerment.
- Strong management and interpersonal skills
- Experience in managing inter-agency consortiums is preferred.
- Understanding of World Vision’s standards and commitment to World Vision’s core values and mission statement, including participation in regular devotions. Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context.
- Demonstrated good understanding of the humanitarian industry, including actors, principles, laws and standards.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Understanding of management and integration in a cross-functional management matrix model.
- Strong skills in strategy development, prioritization and implementation.
- Understanding of and comfort with providing leadership in an increasingly globalized organization in an increasingly complex industry environment.
- Proven ability to manage large numbers of staff, efficiently and effectively, whether in a live or virtual environment. Ability to network and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Excellent ability to work in and contribute to team building environment.
- Computer literate (Operate Microsoft word and excel, outlook, teams etc)
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
Travel and/or Work Environment Requirement: Office-based with 20% travel to the field
Candidates require a high level of physical and mental fitness particularly within high-risk environments
Ability to communicate well in English (verbal and written) – particularly in a crisis situation