Head of Programme
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 28, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Vacancy Number DCA-Eth-VA/027/22
DCA is recruiting a new Head of Programme for our Ethiopia Country Office.
DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for an energetic and experienced Head of Programme (HoP) to lead its country programme in Ethiopia.
Who are we?
In Ethiopia we work to save lives through humanitarian action, build strong and resilient communities, and fight injustice and inequality.
DCA has been supporting food insecure communities in Ethiopia with humanitarian assistance and long-term development since the mid-1970s through local churches and faith-based organizations and has been legally registered in the country since 2004. DCA Ethiopia’s modality of implementation is a combination of co- and self- implementation and working with local partners and like minded INGOs in consortia. It has an office in Addis Ababa and 4 field offices in Amhara, Oromia, Gambella and Afar regions. The country programme has 3 thematic areas:
- Community Development with particular focus on Women Empowerment
- Resilience Building and Livelihood
- Humanitarian action
We work with local partners and have 100+ staffs in Ethiopia. DCA Ethiopia programme currently has a turnover of app. 10 million USD
The Head of Programme (HoP) works directly under the supervision of the Country Director (CD). As HoP you will be responsible for the three thematic areas namely: Saving Lives, Building Resilience, and Fighting Inequality. You will be working to ensure synergies between the three thematic areas in line with DCA commitment to nexus approach as well as the Grand Bargain.
You will be responsible for the planning, implementation, and management as well as the achievements of the goals and objectives of the programme in a timely and cost-effective manner with adherence to technical quality standards and donor guidelines. Together with the CD, you will lead and inspire the strategic directions of the programme, ensuring synergy between its different components as well as high quality, accountable and innovative programme implementation. You will work closely with the Programme Development and Quality team to identify fundraising opportunities, coordinate and write applications to donors and build partnerships to sustain a continuous growth of the programme.
The Head of Programme coordinates closely with the Head of Finance and Support Services to:
- Ensure the Ethiopia Country programme portfolio is executed on time, on budget and delivers the expected outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Take the lead in design and roll-out DCA Ethiopia country programme
- Ensure strategic coherence and vision of the entire country programme.
- Ensure a strong and consistent technical delivery of all projects including back donor projects.
- Ensure support to fund raising and proposal development for donors.
- Ensure DCA maintains and builds strategic relations with our current and potential partners and other key stakeholders including private sector actors.
The Head of Programme role is based in Addis Ababa with regular travel and field visits as a key part of the role.
The position reports directly to the Country Director and has a key role on the Management team.
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate has:
- Min. 10 years’ experience, preferably working on humanitarian/emergency programming, community empowerment, livelihoods, resilience and private sector engagement. Experience working with local partners is a significant advantage.
- Min. 5 years management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors and donors.
- Experience from Ethiopia as well as international posting is a significant advantage.
- Experience of managing a team of staff in different locations.
· Demonstrated successful experience with fundraising, donor liaison and coordination (EU, DANIDA, USAID, UN, ECHO, PRM).
· Demonstrated experience of writing successful concept notes and proposals and producing good quality donor reports.
· A natural ability to think in terms of systems, compliance, and structure.
· Experience of leading strategic programming and planning processes, incl. the use of Theory of Change.
· Strong leadership, team building and communication skills - both spoken and written.
· Strong analytical skills with ability to plan, coordinate and lead processes that include multiple stakeholders and interests.
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills