|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 12, 2020|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Consultant to Develop Five Year National Health Care Quality and Patient Safety Strategy (2021-2025)
Type of Contract : Consultant Contract
Purpose This consultancy is required to produce Ethiopian National Health Care Quality and patient safety (2021-2025) strategy
Payment Method : Daily rate
Duration : 65 Working Days over a period of 3 to 6 months
No of consultants: One
Start Date: August 2020
Reporting to MOH/HSQD Director
The History of Quality of care initiative in the health care institutions of Ethiopian goes back to 2006 with the objective to improve Ethiopian hospital service delivery through leading a masters’ level hospital administration training. Since then gains has been witnessed in improving quality of care among which includes the development of HSTP I where Quality considered as one of the four health sector agenda, development of National Quality strategy, establishment of quality structure at national and subnational level, development of quality related guidelines and tools, quality improvement capacity development for health care providers, implementation of different initiatives for improvement the care
Building on the gains made and to address the major health care quality challenges, the ministry of health planned to reform its universal health coverage approach through making health care quality as the fundamental component along with access, protection from the acute threat and financial protection in the development of HSTPII (2021-2025). HSTPII designed in a way that health care system ensures comprehensive, coordinated and continuum of care across the life path. Furthermore, emphasis was given to cultivate competent and companionate health care providers that are engaged to ensure quality of care being provided is safe, evidence based, timely, people centered and well communicated to the patient. Similarly, the plan aimed to ensure that patients and communities are engaged to optimize the health care service and improve the outcome of care and community confidence in the service. Therefore, Quality of care is a priority focus area for the health sector in the years to come.
Thus, amidst new evidence and growing interest in quality from both national and global perspectives, it is necessary to design the next five-year health care quality and patient safety strategy (2021-2025) in a way that guide the implementation of the objectives and strategic direction of HSTP II.
Ministry of Health in collaboration with Institute for Healthcare Improvement would like to recruit a consultant on a short-term bases to develop the five-year national health care quality and patient safety strategy.
The main purpose of the assignment is to develop the strategy (2021-2025) that guide the health sector programs with the strategic direction on continually improving the outcome and experience of care and maximizing safety levels through institutionalization of quality culture across all levels of the health care system.
Scope of Work:
- Current state synthesis (situational assessment SWOT):
- Conduct desk review of national and global literatures, guidelines, strategies and assessment reports related to quality and safety
- Conduct Stakeholders mapping and analysis
- Based on the current state analysis and HSTP II recommendations, propose a future state for quality and safety. Facilitate consensus building processes on the future state with MOH directorates, agencies, regions and other stakeholders and the Core team
- Develop or identify frameworks and outlines to give a structure/skeleton for the strategy document
- Identification of strategic focus areas, strategic objectives and key results
- Develop progress monitoring measures and tracking mechanism
- Develop targets for the strategy
- Prepare implementation strategy outlining major activities with timeline, resources and responsibilities
- Consult and obtain inputs from the Core team which are tasked to guide and supervise the strategy development process.
- Present draft work to stakeholders periodically and organize and synthesize relevant inputs
- Finalize the strategy based on feedback from stakeholders including TWG members, directorates, agencies and regions.
- The development of the strategy will be led by the core team to be established at HSQD, the team will be actively involved in the development process.
- The Consultant/s will perform desk review and conduct field visit if need be
- The consultant will perform stakeholder’s analysis
- The consultant will collaborate with the core team in facilitation of the consultative events and TWG meetings organized for purpose of formulating strategic objectives, designing interventions and compile the output of each event
- Collaborate with the core team to determine the outline of the strategy.
The consultant is expected to timely deliver the following.
- Report on detailed situational analysis report
- Report on stakeholder analysis and mapping
- Detail implementations plan
- Costed interventions
- Final Draft Strategy
Duration of Assignment:
- The total period for consultancy will be 65 working days starting from August 2020 over a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Payment will be made as per the consultancy agreement signed between the consultant and the organization.
- Addis Ababa, HSQD/MOH
- Field visits might be arranged if the work demands to do so.
Timeline and Milestones:
|Phase One||Conduct Desk Review and analysis of current state|
|Phase One||Conduct Stakeholder analysis and mapping|
|Phase One||Consolidate the Goal, the Strategic objectives, Interventions in collaboration with core team|
|Phase Two||Develop Measurement plan, target setting, M&E Framework in collaboration with core team|
|Phase Two||Articulating zero draft of the Strategy|
|Phase three||Costing the interventions|
|Phase three||Implementation Plan (Governance and structure, Work plan, roles and responsibility (In collaboration with core team)|
|Phase three||Submit Final Draft Document|
The consultant/s should have:
- Background qualification in clinical medicine with specialty in public health and/ or Improvement Advisor
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in the Ethiopian health care system
- A practical experience working in development and evaluation of strategy and policy documents
- Practical experience in the area of Health Care Quality: Quality Planning, Improvement and Assurance/Control
- High level report writing and communication skills
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity
- Strong analytical and organizational skill
- Good interpersonal skill
All applicant for this post should strictly follow the following remarks for application;
- Your application should only be sent with the subject “Application on National Health Care Quality and Patient Safety Strategy Consultancy:
- Please don’t attach any documents other than your CV which should be only in PDF format
- Your attached soft copy CV should be renamed and emailed using your full name.
- All application should be submitted only via email using the following address:
- Dead line for application will be August 17, 2020 @5:00PM
Human Resources Department
Institute for Healthcare Improvement