|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 25, 2022|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender equality, youth, research, technology, communication, and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development and humanitarian challenge in more than 70 countries. FHI 360’s Crisis Response team is responding to the humanitarian emergency in Amhara region, focusing on emergency health, nutrition and WASH activities to support the goal of reducing morbidity and mortality.
Under the supervision of the Health Officer, the Health Assistant is responsible for supporting all start-up nutrition activities in FHI 360 program implementation areas in South Wollo zone, Amhara region. The position holder will be responsible for providing technical guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate international technical standards and guidelines are technically sound.
- Work closely with the Health Officer to achieve program objectives and targets effectively and efficiently.
- Collects and coordinates data needed by nutrition staff.
- Reviews and verifies information to ensure compliance and accuracy of source documents, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains records and data utilizing automated systems for tracking protocols, agreements, training materials, data sets and final reports.
- Prepares training and training materials for field site locations.
- Provide continuous field-based assistance to all mobile medical units and static facilities.
- Assist in collecting and compiling project data regularly including case studies, success stories and photographs of facilities.
- Provide regular updates on the inventory of medical and non-medical items supported by the project.
- Help improve the quality of PHC services delivered at supported facilities and continuous monitoring.
- Any other tasks assigned.
There are 31 FHI360 development competencies. The focus for this particular job will be:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) - accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshal's people, time, and resource efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner and orchestrate multiple activities at once.
- Problem Solving – analyzes problems, seeks input from others and considers a variety of solutions. Chooses most efficient and effective solutions with attention to the impact that solution has on other projects and tasks.
- Technical Skills and Learning – lets go of outdated processes and procedures, seeks out resources to enhance technical skills, and readily learns new industry processes, systems and products.
- Employees are expected to possess or have high potential for development of these three fundamental competencies.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English, fluent in the host country's language as appropriate.
- Basic knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with project design.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office suite software.
- Ability to problem solve and recommend corrective action as needed.
- Strong organizational and attention to detail needed to adhere to project deadlines.
- Effective communications in information are shared by ensuring attention is paid to the specific components (i.e., formatting) of the communication, successful delivery and accountability for specific components (i.e., keeping timelines updated).
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems that are limited in scope.
- Problems are routine in nature and are standard procedures and policies.
- Works independently and within a team on special non-recurring and ongoing projects.
- Exercises judgment within defined practices and policies to perform duties.
- Decisions made generally affect own job or specific functional area.
- Has no supervisory responsibility.
- Uses independent judgment to determine workflow and priorities.
- Receives instructions on new assignments.
- Typically reports to Health Officer
- Bachelor’s degree related to health or nutrition.
- At least 3 years of national work experience in the field of Health programs, including emergency and humanitarian response.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) is highly preferred.
- Fluent in local language and excellent in English.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at the computer screens and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- Less than 10%
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.